Warning ..Gizmow down to drive belt being ripped off

Discussion in 'Gizmow' started by 900rf, Jun 21, 2007.

1. 900rf

900rf LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Today I was doing some lawn work and after edging, etc was pretty sweaty so I placed a towel over seat and started up mower got 90% of the cutting done on 1 acre when all of the sudden I started getting whipped on my shoulders and mower started bogging, then died, at first I thought I might have run over something but after looking discovered towel had caught on pulley behind seat that drives hydraulics and ripped belt off, of course it is shot and so is towel :laugh: and I noticed the seat fabric "top of seat" was almost worn all the way through due to towel being pulled out from under me and side seam was torn a little. I could hardly get seat base to tilt forward as towel was jammed in so tight.. I am so glad it was me instead of my wife as she would have been hysterical. I have put a call in Tony at Gizmow to see if they have belt in stock or can tell me where to get one locally.

Just be careful as shaft with drive pulley comes out of front of engine right behind seat, my old mower drives from bottom, I have placed towel over seat back for years, I won't do it again.. I am sure there are other mowers that this could happen to also.

2. pylnrcr

pylnrcr LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if a small vented guard similar to the one over the muffler would have prevented that?

On a side note - how do you like your Gizmow overall? I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's living up to all the promises. Only had a couple minor issues along with getting used to the steering wheel / pedal arrangement.

3. 900rf

900rf LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Jeff the owner of Gizmow just called me and gave me # of belt, I will go a NAPA store and see if I can match it up, it might not be Kevlar enforced like factory ? he did offer to over night one and also said they can get seat covers if I need one. I will keep every one posted on outcome..

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sounds good so far

5. 900rf

900rf LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Went to local auto parts store's actually 3 of them including NAPA with no luck yesterday, it was kind of funny when they asked what it was for, I said Gizmow and they just looked at me like "sure - mister" then I showed them name on belt.. says Gizmow right on it,will try lawn mower shops today, will have to drive a lot further to next town, I hope I can find a belt today as grass is growing, if not I will have Jeff send me one, it will probably cost a little more with shipping so I will give it 1 more try today locally.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Jeff send him a belt:waving: I bet he has already:)