Warning of Management Company

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Forever Green Landscaping, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Forever Green Landscaping

Forever Green Landscaping LawnSite Member

Just wanted to let everyone know to be aware of the management company Mirror Lawn Turf Doctor.
    I was contracted to do the maintenance for Targets in the area with a signed contract and everything.
    June comes along and they cancel because I am way over budget. (They owe me more for 3 months then their budget for the year) "Can you do it for less? "
    No, thanks just send me the money you owe me and we can part ways. I asked why the contract passed through and was signed if it was over budget. "We are looking into that. Good question"
    Won't return emails, I call and there is a new excuse of why I haven't got paid yet. (Check is on owners desk and is on vacation, Owner has question about contract but is out of the office, Owner wont return calls)
    Just wanted to give any other companies a heads up so you don't end up in my situation.
    If it wasn't for good budgeting my business would be close to going under or selling a different piece of equipment every other week to survive.
    Any suggestions or advice on getting my money?

2. Lawyer up !!

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Did they sign your contract or did you sign theirs?

I got the rfp for targets from another management company and they were paying per year what I would have charged per month.

4. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

any time you have a day off park your truck and trailer in front of the doors and tell the manager you'll move when you get a check??

5. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

RIGHT NOW Go To A Lawyer!

Put a Lien on their properties, or see what your legal options are.
    This is time sensitive
    so do it NOW.

Up here where I am...a builders lien has to be filed within 45 days of the invoice date...generally 30 days are given to the client to send the cheque and then if it looks like we won't get paid we have another two weeks to have the lawyer draw up the lien papers (we can't do the paperwork ourselves here)

Small claims court is $125 here.

In either case, we can't collect on the lien or small claims fee we had to pay
    from the client and we can't claim interest on the invoiced amount owing.

Big companies using us as subcontractors can chew us up and spit us out. Alot of times
    we don't have the money to fight with them and some service providers do go bankrupt.

Good Luck. Every-one, look into your options and don't procrastinate

6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Get a lawyer and make sure every bit of correspondance is documented. Try to do it via email if you can get a response, that way you have the records.

Good luck and thanks for the heads up!

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ooo I like this one, can't guarantee it will work for you but I'm all for that lol
    although it is against the fair debt collection act (meaning it breaks the law)
    but then some people they don't give a ****

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  8. Forever Green Landscaping

They are located in Tennessee and I am located in Maryland. I don't think the trailer option is too much of an option.
    I signed their contract.
    Unfortunately I tried to play nice and be as professional about the situation as possible but when you lie and ignore me it changes my attitude

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

If their contract is like any other I've seen. He already waived his rights to do anything other than sit and wish he got paid. Don't take this as a knock. I've done it myself. These middlemen know how to write a contract so there is zero risk on their part. All they do is keep the majority share of the money by preying on inexperienced business owners
    In this case you seem that you know your pricing and that didn't allow them to keep 80% of the money. Likely it was more money than they were getting paid. So they're just not going to pay. They don't have to according to the contract. You're not going to spend tens if thousands on a lawyer to fight it. Next year they get someone new who is dreaming of the day they can be a big time pro and mow the local big box store. They wont care what little it pays. They figure they're getting their foot in the door and its their big break to becoming the next brickman.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Forever Green Landscaping

I've started to contact the Target headquarters to notify them of the situation. I may end up putting a lein on the stores and the management company. I actually have customers who found out about what happened and want to get together on the weekends and picket with signs that Target doesn't pay their contractors.