WARNING SIGNS!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Feb 5, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I posted this over here because I figured I would get a faster response.

Is it a law that if you apply chemicals to a lawn that you post a sign in the yard warning the homeowners, AND THE YARD BOY, that there has been an application made? I know of one company in my town that does and one doesn't. My wife and I got "EAT UP"(southern terminology) last year by a fungicide that had been applied to a yard. We had no idea it was there until our skin and eyes felt like pepper spray had been shot on us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was a very painful experience and rinsing it off didn't work. About 4 hrs later we quit burning, I almost went to the E.R. because my eyes were in severe pain.

Today we were at one of our residentials and the homeowner came out and told us that the chem. company had just sprayed. If she hadn't told us I would have mowed it. I mowed a commercaial account the other day and half way through it I smelled the stuff. Luckily it wasn't that "killer" fungicide but a pre-em that they had put out.

For those of you who apply, do you leave a warning sign, if not please consider doing so. I don't want to run into that mess again and I don't think anyone else would either.

2. gr8 1

gr8 1 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

We do, its law in Ohio, but ive seen kids come along and pull them out. Dogs also like to play with them.

Find out the company or have the customer tell you when its treated. Tell them someone is liable, that usually gets a response

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh boy Homer, if you guys don't have to notify anyone or flag when someone applys chemicals, you got it made. In Wisconsin, the fert. customer has to be notified in writing before the application that they may obtain pre-application information. Which would be the chemical you will be applying. Thennnn, a post-application letter must be given to the customer stating the business number,name of applicator(me),where it was applied(grass)date of app.,chemical brand,concentration of chemical,post applicant precautions stated on the label,including re-entry times and so forth. Thennnnnnn, the warning flags have to be put out before you apply, containing all kinds of info. that can't be handwritten, it has to be professionally printed on. Thennnnnnnn, I as an applicator have to check a list of peoples names that register with the state as to whether or not those people want to be notified before I apply anything in their general area. Thennnnnnnnnn, I have to have all the chemical info. on file for anyone that may request it at anytime. Thennnnnnnnnnnnnn, I have to keep all my applications on file for two years. Otherwise that's it.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

In Delaware, no sigh is needed. All the big boys, do leave them though.

5. Randy Scott

Isn't it amazing how some states are so different in their laws. The funny thing is that the states that don't require it are smarter than the ones that do presently require it. Because in our state only applicators for hire have to meet all these requirements. So, if the homeowner puts something down and someone has a reaction to it, so what! If I put it down and something happens, I'm screwed. I don't have an answer to that yet but I'm going to ask the state I think. Not that it's gonna change anything.

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear about that Homer, I can relate. Before I got my certification I would sometimes be subjected to nose bleeds during the spring because of all the chemicals Chem Lawn and others had applied.

In NYS it is mandatory to post any property receiving an application at the corners of the property along the roadside. It is also mandated that they be posted 20 feet between markers.

If you have a property between houses there would be a sign at the right side of the lot next to the curb. I would skip over the 8-10ft of lawn area next to the garage and post on the other side of the driveway. I would then post one at the opposite end of the curb towards the other neighbors house(left side) and then one between those two.

We also are mandated by law to LEGIBLY write on our markers what time we have applied the product and date it as well. I bet that if you wanted to raise havic you could report them to your DEC and if nothing else at least make sure that the s-o-b notify's you they have treated the lawns.

We treat for a buddy and we always notify him prior to applying any chemicals. Thats how we became friends because he never wanted the fert biz from his clients and I actually took the time to contact him - it was a first for him in his 20+ yrs in the industry.

Hope this helps Homer, I would pursue this matter personally.

Kris

[Edited by kutnkru on 02-05-2001 at 07:53 PM]

7. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

Homer you might want to go by the pharmacy and get a large bottle of saline solution to keep in the truck, to wash out your eyes and pour on the bare skin where it is burning this helps to neutralize the chemicals and stop the burning

8. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I assume it is law here as all seem to do it.
    Also I like to know when a lawn has been nuked.
    If it was done by one of my many nuke applicator enemies I make a point of bagging and taking off as much fertilizer as I can. Yes sounds bad but better than me cutting an extra 6 inches of grass.

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Saline? Never thought about that.

The company doing this actually sub-contracts one of my commercial accounts. I get a letter AFTER they have done the work, it comes with the invoice, 2 or 3 days later!

It must not be law in Bama, I'm sure they would conform, they are a pretty big company with somewhere in the neighborhood of 1700-1800 spraying accounts. I'm sure they wouldn't blatantly disregard the laws, but I wish I had known last year when the eyeballs got fried. :eek:

Them laws sound pretty tough up yonder Randy! How long does it take to do the paperwork, sounds like it would be longer than doing the app.

10. Randy Scott

Hee Hee, that's what the wife is for. She's good for more than one thing.