WARNING: Stay back 200 ft "signs"

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FLAhaulboy, May 15, 2010.

1. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

[​IMG]

Not responsible for "broken wind shields", If that Bobcat falls off and hits my truck, a broken wind shield would be the least of my worries! :laugh:

If anyone thinks this type of sign releases you from any liability due to debris falling off & damaging a vehicle driving behind you, think again. :hammerhead:

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

It doesn't release you of anything but it could discourage people from riding your butt.

3. gtmorgan89

gtmorgan89 LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

Do they really expect you to be able to read that from 200'?

4. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a bad idea, but the person on the phone riding your truck is the one not reading your sign....

5. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I wondered about this as well. It is probably a deterent as no one would be dumb enough to think a goofy little sign releases them from any liability! Ive even seen huge tri axles hauling gravel, with it falling out all over on the expressway, and they had one of these signs?? Actually, isnt it illegal to not keep your load secured while on the road? Im sure it applies to gravel as well as anything else?

6. RedRebel

RedRebel LawnSite Member

Here if any material bounces off the roadway and then hits your car/truck, the truck is not responsible. If you can prove that it flew off the truck and directly hit your car, then it is their fault...good luck proving that one though...

7. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Why should trucks get special treatment when it comes to things flying out of their truck? If i had something fly out of my trucks bed and hit the road first or not, then hit a cars windshield and crack it or other damage, I would still be liable! Just because they haul huge amounts does not mean they can get away with causing damage.

8. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

You are responsible for the load you carry, simple as that.

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Na, it aint that simple...when your cruising in rush hour traffic and a few rocks crack your windshield, good luck getting them to pay. They have a whole book of excuses and have been thru that crap before many times and know how to NOT PAY.

10. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

I think those signs are a deterrent for people who like to ride close to others. However, I was passed by a dump truck and a rock flew from it and cracked my windshield. I sped up to get all the information I could from the dump truck: company name, phone number, truck number and what time of day it was and location. As soon as I was able to call I did. I had to argue with the person on the phone, but I did get my windshield replaced that week.