WARNING!: Stupid n00b question ahead.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GravyTrain, Mar 17, 2007.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

As said befor i think the ringing sound is the clutch i know i hear the same thing with my stihl although not as much with my 4stroke or maybe i just havent noticed it. I mostly hear the sound when you just start to throttle up and the head or blade hasnt started spinning yet. After i start trimming i never notice it. My fs80 has done it since day one and still runs 5 yr later and id estimate over a thousand hours of use

2. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

If the noise kinda sounds like a bell or a ching its probably just the clutch lightly engaging at high idle nothing to worry about.Stihl makes great equipment so I doubt if its seerious.

3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely the clutch. Very normal for Stihl products. It's the way the clutch is designed. It can get louder as the hours are put on the machine. Can be very pronounced on older models. Some people are sensitive to that pitch and it appears loud and annoying. Maybe, that's one reason why Stihl is not my main stay.... When in doubt bring it back to the dealer for them to listen and check out.

4. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Stihl Fx 100 and the 130 and thay both make that sound like a Bell ringing.Allways have.

5. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I checked them out. Look like a good, solid piece of Eqiupment, but seem really heavy and expensive.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Where do you find them? none of my toro dealers carry them. id like to check them out.

7. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

just checkin but make sure youre USING OIL in the gas if its a 2 stroke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

otherwise yeah its the common sthil clang clang clang bell-like sound of the clutch when you get the rpms going...and the motors sound like youre riding a dirtbike haha..

i always run at full throttle, cuts better, dosent rip the line off as easy, and its better for the clutch

stabbing at the throttle just tends to beat the grass around anyhow without doing a nice job