Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Larson Lawn Care, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

So the other day, I just sharpened my blades(they were perfectly sharp by the way) well, I was putting them on, I was on the third and last one. It was tight, but I wanted to make sure it was tight enough. I had a ratchet on top, and a wrench on bottom, both going in different directions. The wrench was lodged against part of the deck...it slipped downwards, while I was still pulling on the ratchet up top, and the blade swung over and cut my hand pretty bad. I had to get 6 stitches, and I haven't been able to work for the past week. So this is a warning out there to all...BE CAREFUL, anything can happen!
  2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

boss used to make us put gloves on when screwing with blades. thought it was useless till the one day the wrench on top slipd and the impact spun the blade around. wear gloves take ur time
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

sorry to hear that.....

there was an earlyer post that stated he put new blades on then he noticed some grass loged under the deck, so he got his trusty puddy knife and went to town, it slipped and BAM........

I wondering about your tools. I use an impact but you may want to go to a 6 point sockett and wrench, less slippage, or bite the bullett and get impacts
    there worth the money......

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear about that. I did that once myself. Like it was said above a thick pair of gloves and impact tools are the best bet.
  5. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm definately going to get a thick pair of gloves...thanks! ...and as for the impacts, I'm going to look into them.
  6. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Its good to bring up these saftey issues every once in a while. One morning I reached under a deck to see if the blades were sharp. I guess I sharpened them the night before because when I pulled my hand out there was blood everywhere. I earned seven stitches for that mistake.

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: Same thing happened to me several years ago wrench slipped & my right hand hit the sharp blade 11 stiches across 2 fingers. Now I take my time & don't over tighten the blades
  8. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

This very thing happened to me in August!
    Yeah : GLOVES!!! GLoves! Gloves!
    After all the time that has now past i can just barely feel some sensation on my pinky when playing my keyboard & really Sucks not knowing if i'm pressing a key or not.
  9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

After getting nicked myself, I made a habit of using a wrench that was longer than the blades reach by enough to get a good grip on it and have some clearance (as in hand outside the deck). This evolved into a torque wrench on top and long breaker bar/socket on bottom.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you can get a 2 to 3 hundred dollar sears air compressor, But the impact wrench needs to be a good one. another hundred,

wiht stations charging for air, I cant emigane life with out it.

Take care of that hand.....

Holy Crap Scott just checking the blades ?