Warped blades from J-Thomas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Navig8r, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I ordered some new hi-lifts from J-Thomas last week....... just went to sharpen (file) them before installing them and I noticed one seemed to be bent or warped..... so I took all of them (6) and put them flat on my table saw table (flat, machined surface), and 5 of the 6 are warped !!!!....... the blade is higher in the center, at the hole, than the ends..... one is 1/4" difference !!!!! WTH?!?:confused:

I called J-thomas right away and left a message for the salesperson I dealt with (they were closed) stating my dis-satisfaction, and that I would like all 6 picked up for return and credited, and no, I don't want them replaced!

I ordered blades from them last season, and they were different...... these are the correct length and thickness, but have 3 holes..... OEM and the replacements I got last year had single hole.

I guess they changed suppliers..... now so will I !

Anyone else ever had this problem????

Any other recommendations on replacement blade suppliers??

Thanks for listening to me :blob2:
    and for any suggestions.

2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I've had dealings with them before and had problems...I've learned it's better to pay a little more at the dealer and get the right parts with no defects...

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Arched down at the tips.

I believe its the way they are manufactured. Actually the perfect straight ones (aftermarket) were the ones that I didn't like!

Factory Exmark blades are arched or bowed like you state. Some more than others.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I've bought from them before, never had a problem cheaper then paying 63.60 for 3 blades for my 60"er. got them thru j=thomas for something like 6.50 apiece, lets see a saving of===44.10. Works for me:)

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Dude! They're supposed to be a little higher in the center than the ends! At least my Exmark blades are. You may owe them an apology.

6. Navig8r

Ok.... I can accept a small amt. of variance in a product...... but a diffrence in the center that equates to equal to the blade thickness ???? NO.

I have approximately 25-30 blades on my workbench right now, total for both my machines (high lifts, wide high lifts, mulchers)..... these new ones are the only ones with a shape like this!....... INCLUDING the OEM blades from eXmark........ and some OEM Scag blades...... I also got 3 blades for my Scag with this order........ They're flat... so what's up??!?

J-thomas states on page 1 of their catalog.... Satisfaction guaranteed or they will pick up the product and issue a refund..... pretty simple, I think.

I'm not one to usually bother with a return....... usually easier to eat a buck or 2 rather than the hassle...... but when I spend $50.00 on 6 items that are supposed to be OEM quality and they aren't even of consistent quality between them...... I'm a little un-happy.

As I said in my original post... I ordered blades last year and they were OK...... AND DIFFERENT.........the only hi-lifts offered now are the ones I recieved........

7. Navig8r

Got a call back from them early this AM..... very friendly, professional, and apologetic.... Issuing a pick-up ticket.. no problem..... I was asked to please fill out the comment/cust. satisfaction form that will be sent to me so that they will know exactly why I returned the blades......... I am going to call back and have them check what part # was sent to me last year.... perhaps the slight design change is not a change in the same product, but a change in a catalog listing (mis-print??)

In the meantime, still looking for other suppliers for blades....... J-thomas has been good to me thus far, My complaint is with the quality of these blades, not other products or their service.......

8. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure you don't have Bobcat offset blades? I thinks the j thomas part number is bo17a... This is what I run on my scag, and it sounds like what you have.

9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

In defense of J.Thomas - I've been doing business with them for about 7-8 years and have had nothing but very postive experiences with them. As a matter of fact, I think hey are a key ingredient to a lot of my success. Whenever, I've had a product that I needed to return - it was absolutley no problem. Their tech support is very good too. I order a couple of hundred dollars of stuff with them usually every week or so and RARELY have a problem. On the few occasisions that I did get a defective or wrong part, they were right there on top of it and returned it no probs.

As for your blades - a certain degree of bowing or deflection is normal and helps the blade create more lift. Almost all of the blades we use have this bowed character to them. It's only when the blade has a deflection of more than about 3/8 - 1/2" that problems begin to arise.