warped deck on VIKING

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dishboy, Nov 15, 2004.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Terry,
    I have a 95 or 96 Viking fixed deck 36. I have one blade chamber that visually cuts lower toward the center of the deck. I pulled the deck for inspection and it is warped down the center as well as cracked on the exit side chamber. I had stop already stopdrilled the cracks. My question is since this thing is warped won't measureing from blade tip to deck only give me misleading numbers as where it is actually cutting low? I am guessing that the only numbers that really tell me what needs ajustment will be needed are with the deck installed using a blade height checker around the chamber at all positions?

Your thoughts on straighting methods for this deck would be most helpful. I can think of three methods, Hammer to deck, shimming spindle and using a flat bar across the top of deck on the supports and theaded rods to pull low spots which would require leaving in place permantly. This would not bother me. I would like to do thids repair myself.
    Thank you, Tom

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dishboy,

If it were me I'd use the pulley's as much as possible to determine if the deck is straight or not. You can also use the bottom of the spindle shafts. Remember you really want to the blades to line up with each other. By placing a straight edge on the bottom face of the spindle shaft or on the top of the pulley's you should be able to see where your off and when you need to go. You'll also need to swing the straight edge around to see where it wants to rise and fall in the rotation. It's also a good idea to check both the top and bottom as well because this can be an indicator of a bents spindle shaft as well.

HINT: If when you measure from the roof to the blade tip and find an issue you can rotate the blade and measure again. If the high or low measurement stays in the same area of the deck then the deck is bent. If the high or low measurement follows the swing of the blade the shaft is bent.

Terry

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Dishboy,

Give me a yell. I can help you with many methods of locating the point of warpage...

Terry,

I gotta ask man... when are you guys going to make the move away from the 10 guage used for the front, top and rear of the deck? Maybe I'm about to say a 4 letter word, but why not upgrade to the same quality 7 guage stock used for the Toro? Craftsman mowers sport 10 guage decks.....

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dishboy,

Your local dealer should have a drawing in his "service school" book from a few years ago that describes how to make a fixture to straighten the deck. It works pretty slick actually.

As far as increasing the deck thickness it's possible however we don't bend that many decks now. The construction of the UltraCut in particular is extremely strong in the areas that require it. Adding a bunch of 7 gauge steel in other areas simply adds weight and doesn't give much benefit. We probably spend more time bending decks that most manufacturers seeking for ways to improve them. The gusseting and lamination of layers of steel is often much stronger than one thick layer of steel. This method also allows the deck to hold it's strength better in the event that it does become bent and must be re-straightened. At this time I'm not convinced a 7 gauge deck is the way to go. I will however bounce this off the engineers and see what they have to say.

Thanks

Terry