1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Warped deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Jul 10, 2005.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have a Toro 36" walkbehind. It is 3yrs old (dont know the hours exactly...but I mow 45 yards per week). Anyway, my question..

How do you know if your deck is warped/bent? The cut is uneven...looks like a wide mohawk. I have had the dealer try to level the deck, mess with the air pressure, check the spindles, everything. Still not fixing the problem.

Should I punt and replace the deck or even the mower? Any help is appreciated.
  2. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

My first thought was air pressure in the tires. My second thought is that I had an old gear drive Snapper years ago. For some strange reason, it came from the factory with offset spindles. One of the three required a 3/8" spacer above the blade, more than the others. Is this a possibility for your mower? Lastly, I might try a set of dealer / original blades.
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

check the height of each of the blade tips, if they are the same height off the ground, then take it from there.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, then you can see that you have currently. Beyond that, I can help your further with diagnosis and I have been able to positively ID a few that did have warped decks.

So line each blade up front to back like so ( l / ) and then so ( \ l ).
    While you have a blade lined up straight fron to back....
    Get the measurements from the front tip and the back tip.
    Write it down.
    Spin the blade half a turn, measure and record the measurements again.

Repeat at the next blade.
    Then post your numbers.

Also, I would need to know if this is a stamped deck? SFS deck?
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a fixed deck, check the washer placement on your blade-bolts and make sure all 3 are identical.