1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Warranty during a drought?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nlminc, Oct 24, 2007.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I have a customer who expects a warranty for her plants in our (metro Atlanta) complete watering ban. As of yesterday there still is a 30 day exemption for watering new landscape installs completed by a professional landscape company. There have been a few cities that have already thrown this out.

Would you guys honor this? I know when I come back and tell her I can't possibly warranty trees and shrubs that she may not be able to water for up to a year she's going to want a steep discount off my quote. I've already been thru the whole....what's your cost....where do you buy your plants....what is retail....what is your mark up....with her! Some people don't want us to eat at night!
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

What was the value of this job $20,000? I'm just throwing a figure out there. I would not warranty, period. It is beyond my control. According to what you said, she can still water.........so water. Trees, get gator bags. Use soakers hoses or drip under the mulch for shrubs.

You could offer to install as a friendly gesture. Maybe do it on your own time just to make her happy at a minimal cost to her. I would see what makes it and what doesn't. If she can water, well she better water.

Now, if this was a very good customer of yours or a big job and a couple things died I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe work out a deal on replacement even. I do not think this is such a customer to you or else you wouldn't have posted.
  3. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

She can only water for 30 days and that may get banned later this week. Even after the 30 days there may still be a complete watering ban in the metro area for up to one year.......meaning NO watering your landscape or lawn.

It's a very small job under 10k that she wants done in sections.
  4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

$10k divided......ouch. Plants are already in? Water them good now then you just have to play it by ear on the ban.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

In our contract it states the CUSTOMER is responsible for watering after completion. i leave it with that. We haven't had a bad as of a drought as you, but you can't control the weather.:dizzy:
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't warranty them. Sounds like she is looking for someone to pay for her landscaping even though she knows it will probably struggle. Maybe get her to do the foundation portion of it & then hold off on the plants. What ever happens. I foresee lots of renovations in your areas futures. Stinks right now, but big $$$$ in the future.
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

No way can you warranty any plants that you install during a water ban like the one we are having! Water them for the 30 days or until they start the complete ban but DO NOT offer any type of warranty!
  8. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I never offer a warranty on plants, but I have replaced many.
    If there is a ban on watering, I would guarantee that they all will die.
    I also never discuss cost, margin, and price for plants. I tell them my source and I tell them their price.
  9. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

out of my control an voids all warranties , sorry!!
  10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Elements of life , not your problem of water ban sorry about her luck.