Warranty on flagstone patio ????

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by His Scapes, Mar 16, 2008.

1. His Scapes

His Scapes LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what type of warranty you guys offered on stone work.I installed a 600 sq. ft. patio last August and did some crack repair in Nov.He called me back today and said there was some more cracks in the patio.I was just wondering what you did about things like this that have been done a while out.Please let me know what your practices are.

THANKS!!!

2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your base wasn't suffcient! Tear it out and start over! 6 inch cement slab, 2 inches of mortar and set yur stone. Ill guarantee no crakcs with that.

3. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

I warranty all my work for 1 year, however if there is something 2 years down the road that cracks or gos wrong and i know its my fault or is minor i will fix it no questions asked. If you install the correct concrete pad with wire and control joints where they are necessary then you should not have any cracks at all. When stone work cracks something wasnt done right, i saw work i did five years ago(bluestone patio) and it still looks new. And to look good and be reputable you have to stand behind your craftsmanship.

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

was it your pad or existing? it really depends on the situation. Do you have a warranty in your contract? if no then I would do any of it without payment even if it is a small amount.

5. monty33

monty33 LawnSite Member

Landscapingpoolguy, isn't 2 inches of mortar a bit much?

6. landscapingpoolguy

No 2 inches is just right! usually the stone is 1- 1.5 inches thick and you set the stone into the 2 inches of mortar so all the voids under the stone are filled in plus you have some adhesion to yur concrete slab.

7. TRBIGCREEK

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

Where are the cracks, on the stone or in the grout?

TR

8. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys only install flagstone on a concrete pad. I learned from a mason up here in canada to use an 8" compacted aggregate as a base, then 3/4" polymeric sand, set the stones, then sweep the cracks full with more polymeric. What's everyone's thoughts on this with a freeze/thaw cycle like mine here in Manitoba? I've only built 3 patios so far with flagstone and they were all last year (as I normally use pavingstone exclusively). I hope that I'm not gonna have to warrany all of them!!

9. landscapingpoolguy

That is a totally different type of installation then a mortared patio.

10. JJfishes

JJfishes LawnSite Member

Gr8,

Thant sounds perfect for a dry laid patio in a northern climate. The only difference would be that I would substitute the polymeric sand base for a concrete sand base for drainage reasons and the price difference alone would save you a bunch of money and its not the proper material to use. The poly meric sand would be good for jointing sand. As far as concrete in our northern climates, all concrete has control joints to minimize cracking. In that respect concrete is always meant to fail but you want to minimize the areas where it does.

happy spring,
    Jay