warranty on kohler engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bryand28, Feb 18, 2006.

1. bryand28

bryand28 LawnSite Member

hey guys. I bought a replacement 20hp kohler new in september 2005. By the end of October it was using oil like crazy and smoking. I suppose the rings are shot. I took good care of it and it still did this. My question is ... Have any of you had any dealings with kohler and if so, how much trouble will i have getting them to make this motor up? I dont wanna just throw about 1700 down the drain. The warranty is for 2 years. Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just take the unit to a Kohler authorized warranty dealer and they will most likely find a blown head gasket and take care of it.

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't wait to take it in. Most manufacturers have a budget for warranty repairs. In the beginning of the year they have lots of money to use. As the year goes on they have less and less. You stand a much better chance of getting repairs early in the year and less of a chance in Nov and Dec.

4. Restrorob

I'm wondering where you heard this ? All my warranty work is performed and the unit returned to the customer. Then the warranty claim is turned into the manufacturer for reimbursement. I have never had any problems getting paid for warranty work. :confused:

5. bryand28

bryand28 LawnSite Member

will they fix it or replace the engine? I paid for a new one and only used it a short while. I dont want them to "piece it back together" and it only hold together for a while before tearing up again. I've heard that once you've "rebuilt" them they wont hold up. I only put a little over a hundred hours on it since it was new.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Like RestoRob said, it most likely only needs a head gasket so there shouldn't be any rebuiding involved. If there was a serious problem with the block they would probably put a new short block in it.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Odd to hear that about a Kohler 20 especially since you took good care of it. I had a pos 25 Kohler years ago and it too was under warranty. A dealer did what he could to fix it but as I said it was a 25. Take it in, your dealer is the first stop. Good Luck

8. Restrorob

Your right Richard, Kohler does not let Service Dealers rebuild engines under Warranty a new shortblock is installed.

9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard it from more than one factory rep!

10. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I had a 16 hp Kohler that blew(one of the many) with around 1000 hours on it. It was 3 years old and out of warranty but the Kohler factory service guy admitted to me that they are a poor design. He told me I was lucky most of the 16 only last about 300-400 hours. I talked (and e-mailed) Kohler a few times hoping they would give me some kind of break on the price of the new motor knowing the 16 has issues. My dealer even went to bat for me seeing if they would help me out. They would not ever respond to me. I was not looking for them to cover the complete cost of a new motor but I thought they would at least knock a few $ off the new one. It is too bad because I have a old 12.5 Kohler that I have never had a problem with. From now on I'm going out of my to buy equipment that is not Kohler powered. I was very surprised that they would not stand behind thier product.

I would not expect too much from Kohler concerning their warranty.