Warranty on Redmax 8000??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by henri4207, Jan 11, 2006.

1. henri4207

henri4207 LawnSite Member

I have had my RMax8000 just a little over a year. I cannot turn the thing off, the starter broke for the 3rd time, and it is leaking oil out of the shortblock. I took it to the dealer that I bought it from and said it was out of warranty?? Isn't this model 2yr parts and labor, or just parts, or none of the above? Has anybody else had trouble with these starters on this model? I have used Echo for the past 10 years and never problems with the starters??
    Thanks!!!

2. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought the Redmax 8000 last July and it came with a 2 year warranty on parts/labours. You can always check redmax's website at www.redmax.com to make sure.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a 2 year warranty!! I just got one of my 8000's back today actually. It had a bad on/off switch and also a broken choke lever. My guys have been dealing with this for a while though, they were turning if off my pulling the spark plug wire off.

I also had problems with my 7001's. The power is great, but the other problems suck! I will still by more though.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Should be 2yr parts/labor for commercial/residential use. What size starter rope have you been replacing it with? They come in different sizes you know and you may be putting the wrong diameter stuff in there. As for the shortblock oil leaking, have you tried to tighten the bolts that hold on the shortblock? If that doesnt work, then you prolly need a new base gasket, if dealer denies warranty you can post this in the mechanic and repair forum and get part # for the gasket, should be a relatively straight forward repair to make.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

All these dang big blowers require a lot of service. Most dealers would not warranty starter rope, sorta like belts wear item but simple to replace. All that wiring is not routing in a way that keeps it from being broke or yanked out of place...poor on Echo also. They don't cover wiring either since it is considered wear/tear item....bad deal. The leaking head gasket is common on Echo also needs to be replaced...that is warranty on Echo.

6. henri4207

henri4207 LawnSite Member

It is not the rope that is breaking, it is the actual guts inside that are wearing out?? It seem to be made of cheap plastic and if you pull it to hard before it catches on the "claw", it seem to wear out pretty fast. Love the power, but not sure it is worth the down time and money to fix?

7. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

We've sold a bunch of RedMax 8000's and no problems like you speak of.

But your blower does have a 2 year warranty (parts and labor)....Dealer can call in your serial number to RedMax and get original date of purchase, if you registered your warranty with RedMax. If not you'll need your receipt, or your dealer should have this in his computer system if you bought it their....

Good Luck!

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Same deal as Echo PB650...these unit have so much compression it eats up all those plastic parts in the rope starter. It took Echo 2 years but they have that fixed...all metal now. It is constantly something on these big units, the straps fail, the back pad comes loose, the tubes gets holes, etc. etc.