Warranty problem with my dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 20, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Just curious to see what others think of this.

I bought a 2.5" chipper shredder from my dealer in the spring of '04. It had a 2 year warranty. The brand was Simplicity.

The thing breaks down all the time. I have had it in the repair shop over and over and over.

This spring it broke down again and I was either going to have to go without, which isn't an option, or buy a new one. I was in a real jam. I needed to have a back-up machine anyway, though all of my other commercial equipment doesn't need a back-up (Stihl, Honda, Ferris, etc). I asked the dealer if he had any other models of chipper shredders and all he had was the same model, which is being made under the Snapper brand now. So I had to buy another one.

Well, the older one broke down again about 8 weeks ago. The rope housing is held on with rivets and those rivets had separated from the main engine. I took it in, the part remained on back order for several weeks. Finally, I call and ask about it and they say it is ready. I sent the crew leader in to pick it up and the dealer says this isn't covered under warranty...the bill is $100.

The dealer is standing on the argument that the chipper shredder isn't commercial grade, but when they sold it to me they knew damn good and well that I was in the business and that I would be using this commercially. I think they should have at least mentioned it to me before they sold it to me.

Should this be covered under warranty or not? Are there different "2 year parts and labor warranty's" depending upon whether something is labeled "commercial" or not?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Different warranties for commercial and residential, say 90 days and 2 years.
    :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Take it to a different dealer and tell them it was only used by your granny twice a year on Sunday.
  3. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Most equipment (other than ZTR) have a commercial use & a noncommercial use warranty - so yes 2 different warranties. Manufactures use how the unit is registered (Bill's Lawn Care vs. Bill Jones) as to which warranty applies.

I'm pretty sure Simplicity would have a customer service department contact them and see if they can provide any help - even though what you described would fall under the engine warranty. All they can say is no.
  4. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Here's a thought...buy a commercial grade chipper.
  5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you should fire your employee that went to pick it up. Seems like par for your course.