warranty

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jrlandscaping781, Jan 27, 2007.

1. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

What is your warranty for plants and hardscape?

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard that one before:rolleyes:

4. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not guarantee plants unless I am also contracted to do all the maintenance on the property and I can assure that the plants are properly cared for.

I often tell customers that the only thing I can guarantee is that one day the plant will die, just like I will.

I have replaced plants that I sold, planted and have died, but I never guarantee that I will.

5. mgmlandscaping

mgmlandscaping LawnSite Member

In our area the rule of thumb for plants with a working irrigation system is 1 year. Hardscape is between 2-5 years. We have a few odd balls that are advertising lifetime with Hardscapes.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

5 Years on most phases of landscaping;

Here's our complete warranty policy;

http://www.lewislandscape.com/5-year-warranty.shtml

But I should note that this is quite a bit above what is normal for our area. And so are our prices. Because we charge a decent amount more than most of our competitors do, we have to offer a better value to the customer. You wouldn't buy a $50,000 Mercedes that was totally identical to a $25,000 Cadillac would you? No. You buy a Mercedes because it comes with better crash test results, better technology, better user reviews, better warranty, added features, drives nicer, you get better customer service from their dealership, etc. We've positioned ourselves in our market as one of the more expensive companies in the area. So our warranty is part of a whole set of things we do to make us more appealing to the customer.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I only offer a 1 year warranty on plants/trees we install and that is just for replacement of the plant and charge additional labor to install. I also give instructions on how to care for the plants for the first few months and let them know if they die from neglect that the warranty is void.

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

We currently offer a one year warranty on plants and hardscape. I have suggested lifetime warranty on plants as long as we maintain the property but that suggestion has fallen on deaf ears.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

1yr on plant material, 2-5yr on hardscape. :)

10. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

Lewis, why would you warranty sod? What if the customer never waters, or there is an unforseen fungus in the existing soil? Sod warranty is as follows for us: The day we lay it, its green and fresh> after the job is paid for, the customer OWNS the lawn and all the maintnenace required to keep it alive.