1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Was at the mower shop.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Flipperneck, May 2, 2004.

1. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

I was at the mower shop on saturday looking at equipment. While I was talking to the owner he told me lat weekend about 20 Mexicans came in and bought walk behinds, each one paying in $1's and $5's. I know in Freehold (if you're familiar) they are charging $25 an acre.

I would just like to thank all the older guys in all manual labor industries for opening the flood gates that will damage the future of the industry. I guess all of us will be living 20 in a household to stay competetive 15 - 20 years from now.....

Am I being paranoid or is it as big a problem as I think it is and will be?
  2. budracin

budracin LawnSite Member
    from florida

thank our former president clinton for showing them the way. but america is run on free enterprise
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

flipper, i'm familiar with the freehold area, and i do not work there. why? i can't get any work at my prices. did 100 estimates up in that area, landed one account that i really had to bend on to get. ended up not even servicing him for lack of any other work nearby. they are working extremely cheap there
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

About half the LCO's around here struggle with basic english. Gotta wonder how they're able to fill out the paper work for things like income tax, sales tax, unemployment tax, etc.

Dallas reminds me of the way San Antonio was 10 years ago. There's not a place in town where we go for fast food that my employee can't place his order just as easily in spanish as in english. The south of the border "poverty escape" is working it's way north, slowly but surely.

Honestly, I don't think I have any problem with a guy coming up here to better himself. I know many americans do, but I don't think that bothers me too much. It's when they start going into business for themselves and evading taxes, I have a huge problem with that.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

Not to start a political debate, but I was in Texas before Clinton ever took office and that is home of the Bush family. Mexicans cutting grass and building homes and putting on roofs is not something new in the great state of Texas. My area in St. Louis is getting flooded with illegals and Mr. Clinton is not the president. Front page of the St. Louis Post Dispatch today is running a four part story on the massive number of new immigrants coming into our city. My concern is not really with Clinton or Bush, but exactly what Flipperneck said. There lifestyle is total different than ours, and we cannot compete. They make low wages know, and send half of that home. Imagine if they could keep the whole $8 and put it to use in America. I consider myself a pretty liberal person, but this situation is a concern.
  6. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

7. Willmow4dough

Willmow4dough LawnSite Member

This has been a concern of mine for some time now. All though I am not too concered after talking with a few of my new clients that have left the illegals for the simple reason that they cant communicate with them.

I really dont think that this will be a problem for most of the professional businesses we just have to treat them like scrubs.
  8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

At least they are productive and are trying to make a earning. I dont like illegal labor but I hate americans on welfare who sit on their fat behinds and dont do a damn thing but have more kids and smoke da dope. We do a lawn for this little french war bride in the middle of a very nast section of town. 3 people have been killed within one house of her in the last 3 years. Where out mowing one day, its the heat wave and its gotta be 105 heat index. Working our butts off. Any way my naive brother looks around at all these people just sitting on their butts and not doing a dang thing and says " why arnt these people at work?"
    I looked at him and explained the dynamics of those people who live off other peoples earnings and other technical terms for these lazy ( poor ) folk. He wasnt joking he had no idea people lived that way. I know poor. I used to help my grandfather dumpster dive when I was a kid at places like aldi because " they throw out all this damn good stuff" He and my grandmother raised 11 kids with out ever taking a cent in welfare. He didnt have to dumpster dive, but he couldnt see the point in all that stuff going bad. I didnt want to embarrass him and tell him it wasnt a good thing to do, I had to much respect for the crazy old goat. I dont agree with the mexicans taking work like that, but isnt better than welfare and ssi?
  9. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Like that damn immagrant that his relatives are suing the U.S because they deported his illegal @$$, and he was murdered by his former gang.

I am sorry but this is one of the three topics that lead me to swear and get my blood pressure way out of line. The other two are Liberals, and unions.

I will pay for the bus to ship
    em all back.

10. jro2625

jro2625 LawnSite Member

Yeah i live in Tennessee where we give not only state ran health care but a drivers license as well and administer the test in spanish since we all speak spanish in america. I blame both sides of the aisle b/c both sides are looking at votes and not illegal immigrants. They cut grass and throw up junk houses in Tennessee but surprisingly the house prices go up drastically but there paying them peanuts so its more money in their pocket.