Was forced to buy another Excavator and dump truck this week

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by UNISCAPER, Mar 7, 2006.

1. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Can I use my S-10 with 4 cylinder to pull this?

Cat, 5130 156.jpg

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

How you going to get that in those backyards?!:eek: :confused: :weightlifter: :D

3. UNISCAPER

We use it on site work before the tracts are built. That slope you see is 23' below the apartment buildings, which as you can see are two story. Bascially, from the top of the knuckle to the bottom of the track, in full rase, the machine measures 53'. The bucket is 18 yards. You gotta love joystick controls.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

So wait, are you renting this thing or did you actually buy it?

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

He probably bought it.
    How in the hell do they think they are going to hold that cut back there?
    Tearing up Encinitas now!

6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

:cool2: TONKA toys!:laugh:

7. UNISCAPER

We bought it. 2100' long wall, ranging in hieght 31'-43'. We have to move 1.3 million yards of earth in the process. When we are done, it's going to auction. More money left over doing that way vs rent/lease.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You're my hero, Bill. I thought you were a landscaper? :rolleyes: How long will it take you to finish the job? So you figured your cost of ownership would be cheaper than subbing the job out?

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I sure hate to buy that machine and haul truck. Most of the contractors here will run 45-50 ton excavators and use articulated dump trucks (30 ton).

Two 45 ton excavators and 2 articuated trucks can move alot of earth. The articulated trucks are not so sensitive to the roads they have to haul on. The big haul trucks need a decent road same with that excavator it would flop over pretty easy if it got on uneasy ground. Bigger the machine harder they fall and harder to get back on its tracks :laugh:

Couple contractors from this area had a job to strip around 10 acres of land basically take 10 feet of the over burden off to expose the good gravel to be mined. It took 2 excavators 1 20 ton and 1 30 ton a month to do the job coupled with couple articulated trucks.

The other problem now if that haul truck gets a flat tire its going to be out of commission for atleast a year which is the waiting list for big tires. Right now gravel mines have loaders sitting on blocks because they can't get tires for the 980s and 988s the 992s are even worse. Haul truck tires are almost impossible to get.

You can thank China for that they bought up half the worlds supply of tires companies like Michelin are so back logged they can't keep up with the demand.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Those tires look to be in good condition and could last another 1,000 hours or so, much longer than Uniscaper needs them for. I think this machine and truck combo was the best move. 2 45 ton excavators would have cost the same amount as this big excavator, you have twice the machines to work on, although maintenance costs would be cheaper, and articulated trucks wouldn't even get close to the productivity of that rigid frame haul truck.