Was I Dreaming?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by horizonmowing, Oct 10, 2006.

1. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

I heard that dodge was going to have a Cummins 6.7L with the Allison trans.
    Sadly that amazing combo is surrounded by crap (dodge) but that would be a truck that I would love to have.
  2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

it will have a 6.7 but as far as i know because of new emission rules it won't be putting out all that much more power then the current motor. As for the tranny i'm not sure, but that will be pairing the perfect engine with the perfect tranny.
  3. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Why not go to the Chevy version with the Duramax/Allison combo? I've had one for 4 years now. Not one problem. I've pulled a 9000 lb travel trailer down to Florida, 3000 mile round trip and got 13 mpg doing it. I finally settled on the Chevy after several years of pulling with a Nissan, Ford and two Chevy gassers. Power and a reliable transmission were always what I was lacking. I've got them both now.
  4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

No dreaming. The cab and chasis trucks are the only ones availabe with the 6.7. It's got 305 hp/610 tq. How much more do you want?
  5. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

The HD Cab & Chassis trucks will already have the 6.7L engine. It is rated at 350HP and 650 lb. ft. of torque. The tranny in the Cab & Chassis will be an Aisian automatic tranny, not to be confused with an Allison.

The 6.7L Cummins will be available in the 2500 and 3500 trucks as of January 1, 2007. That point will be the end of the 5.9 Cummins in the Dodge trucks.
  6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope Dodge is really sure that they want to do away with the 5.9. Seems pointless to get rid of the best engine made for something that nobody really knows about.
  7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Yes it was a great engine. Due to emissions that wonderfully archaic engine is being replaced with a cleaner common rail engine. I'd bet the old 5.9 will remain in marine, farm, gen-set and off-road equipment for a little while longer. The big question is, is Dodge is detuning the 6.7 or if there are mistakes on their web site. Dodge specs the 6.7 305/610 and Cummins rates it at 350/650.
  8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The 6.7 is the 5.9 with a longer stroke and alot of emissions equipment. It has officially replaced the 5.9 for cummins (meaning the 5.9 is no longer an option with cummins themselves)

Aisin auto is supposedly bulletproof for the cab and chassis dodges but the auto for the pickups (68rfe) is based on the current 48re, which is pretty bulletproof itself these days, plus one additional gear in the basic range and a double overdrive. 1-2-3-D-OD-DoubleOD.
  9. PerennialSuccess

PerennialSuccess LawnSite Member

I imagine the Dodge specs being different from Cummins specs is because the Dodge specs are including all the B.S. emissions stuff mounted on it.
  10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I was hoping the new cab and chasis would be a 3500+........maybe next year a 4500 or 5500 etc.

I don't know about the new tranny's but the tranny + fuel pumps is why I went Chevy. Plus I've always been Chevy but I had a good deal from a neighbor on a 3500 dump. Hopefully these tranny's will hold up (auto's).

I may consider the new Dodge as I can get a straight employee price on one through family but as for right now I'm looking to a 4500-5500 Chevy.