1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Was I over priced??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by PLM-1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the HOA's that I maintain asked me to aerate. They wanted it done now because the ground is so hard and the water is just sitting on top of the ground, then running off.

I say ok, it's $.015 per sq ft. They say fine. I did it, it came to just over 370,000 sq ft. Their bill was roughly $5550. I talked to a few locals before i gave them this price as I had never done a property this large and they thought i was dead on.

The treasure sends me a check with a note that thought i was "a little over priced, don't you think?"

I sent him a response letter that said what I stated above. That our prices are reevaluated every year with the market and that he is getting a fair price. We had roughly 62 man hours and 40 something tractor hours (Grasshopper with 60" aeravator). This property has tons of obstacles and STEEP hills that really only have one way to approach them, sideways which equals NO FUN! One of us was riding on the fender to keep the wheel on the ground and the other driving. Then add 150000 degrees outside in the shade.

Was I way off on pricing?
  2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

$12 per thousand is a common rate around here. That would be $4,440. Considering the difficult terrain I would say you were within reason.

I wouldn't spend another minute worrying over it. You did the work, got the check. Accept the fact they probably won't call you to do it again.

A bigger question is how effective was the procedure? Aerating rock hard soil is often a waste of time.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you might have been a touch on the hi-side given the volume you did, however obstacles and hills suck when it comes to aerating so it could very well be justified. Is that turf irrigated? if not you might get into trouble if you get a dry spell.
  4. PLM-1

No the turf isn't irrigated, but many of the residents water ALL the time and it isn't doing any good. We've had rain but it has been really hot, 90+ for a while.
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

90's IS HOT? I would kill for 90's. Try 107-112 EVERYDAY.
  6. PLM-1

Put 80 to 90 percent humidity with it ... that equals butt drippin wet!
  7. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I think you were in the market. I'd have to ask the treasurer what experience they have doing aerations and pricing the work? It's not easy work under ideal conditions and to do large areas requires some investment in equipment. It just kills some people to write a check for "punching" holes in the ground.
  8. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i don't know about you guys but i love charging just as much as they will pay. makes me feel like i priced it correctly.
  9. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

there's nothing more de-motivating than to do a job for less than it's worth
  10. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it will be interesting to see if this works, as aerating can compact the ground as the blades force the surrounding soil closer together, i thought coring would be the answer, we will see i guess.