Was I ripped off or what? expensive brake job

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Joe65, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

Have a 2004 GMC Sierra3500 Dump, new in Nov 2004, has only 25,000 miles on it.........took it to my dealer as the brakes did not seem right......tech replaced front brake pads and resurfaced front rotors......he also replaced rear brake pads and both rear emergency brake shoes, right rear rotor and rear axle seals...total $2118 took them 2 1/2 days. Needless to say, I lost 2 days and a half of work, also....thought it was pretty high priced...few guys told me to write letter..........they also thought it high.....I don't haul heavy loads with the dump, but I do pull a trailer 3 days a week........just wondering what others thought

2. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

CALL GMC direct, not the dealer, and go to the highest up you can get, tell them what you got and what you paid. Normally they will do what they can to make it right, Is the trailer big? does it have brakes and do they work? if not you will warp your rotors on your truck quick.

3. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

Thanks, I thought of calling GM direct.....or was going to write to the owner of dealership.......the trailer is only a year old, good working brakes, 14ft enclosed........I bought 2 vehicles thru this dealership and thought of adding a third....but now I'm leary.....I'll see what GM has to say

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Having rear disc on a 1 ton on top of the fact it is a 1 ton is why you have high repair bills...While I think that indeed you got robbed you took it to a dealer...99% of dealers will charge you the maximum for repairs...Go to an independant next time and pay about 500-600 less...

Any repairs on a 1 ton are going to cost substantially more than a 1/2 ton...Nature of the beast...I once got charged for 2 guys over 2 hours EACH at a dealership for...get this...replacing ONE spark plug that I provided even...

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Right on a one ton is expensive,last brake job was $400 bucks it's a late model with two piece wheels in the rear.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That is wayy high. Plus, you only got 25k out of brake pads? :rolleyes: "But GM is the BEST!" :rolleyes:

7. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

We have our trailer brakes set up very aggresive. It is much ceaper to put brakes on the trailer then the truck. Last brake job we did on our 1999 3500HD was $1100 parts only.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

25K miles on a 1ton needing replacement? oh man, I understand the rotors might be warped, but to replace all those parts? no way. you grabbed your ankles on that one my friend. I've got 24K on my ford 1 ton and the brakes look brand new when I inspected them about 3 weeks ago. I haul a trailer 3-5 times a week with it (with brakes) too.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That is a lot of money! Don't you have any friends or relatives that are mechanics? I agree, the dealers might say they are cheaper but I like the idependant shops when I CANNOT do it myself or my uncle/mechainc doesn't have time to help me. If it does go in the shop, I have a selected few that I deal with and all givbe me very good pricing!

Thats the 1 good thing about having an older truck though, when you need brakes or basic parts, you can just go to the junk yard and get em! I have 5 yards within a 10 mile radious so if 1 yard doesn't have what I need, I just try another. I've put brakes on the F150 from the junk yard and I have also gotten a few tires from the yard as well! Good parts with no problems! Saved some money too as I have a prefered membership at 2 of the local yards!!!

10. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

Thanks for all the replies....I'm going to call GM tomorrow and see if I get anywhere with that......I will let you know what their response is....thanks again.........