was i too aggressive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 5, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i swear, if i'm doing something wrong, or unethical, or unprofessional, i just don't see it. a guy called for a quote on a one time service. he just bought the house, not sure if he will take care of lawn himself or not. just wants it cut one time, plus a few branches pruned off a maple tree. tiny, tiny lawn, maybe 1500 sq ft. i told him one time service requires payment in cash at time of service. no problem. scheduled for wednesday. did the work, no one home to pay the bill. left messege with my cell #. he don't call. thurs, and friday i stopped by 3 times each day. his home is located 6 blocks from mine, and we pass his house several times each day. so, i stopped a few times each day. twice he was there, but didn't answer the door. left several messeges. saturday morning, here is the messege on my machine, "bob, this is joe doe, i want to take care of this matter, please come and get your money so i can get you off my back." was i too agressive? i mean, we did have an arrangement
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I don't think so. He should have left you the money there in the front door or under a mat or something. He's just trying to make himself sound like he wasn't the bad guy
  3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i wouldnt worry about it if i were you. if he didnt make the effort to call you before and tell you that he wouldnt be home and he would mail you a check, or leave you money in the mailbox or something then you dont need him and i wouldnt worry about it. i know with all my one time customers, i make sure they are home or they either put a check in the mailbox for me if they wont be home or i dont do the work if the money isnt their.

but i dont see anything wrong with what you did. you preformed a service, you expect money. when you go to bestbuy you dont ask to see a camcorder then run out the store with it and expect them not to do anything about it. of course they would come after you which states how you have every right to get this fellows money!
  4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i don't run into many situations with customers like this, but I have had a few over the years. I think of it like this, for me atleast..........

They want the service from you, so they approach, friendly ofcourse. You agree on work face to face. you do the work, and suddenly they're not home. You call a few times, no return. you stop by and leave invoices...... still no reply.

it becomes a snowball effect, of frustration that people might be giving you the run around. the first time you go there, aahhhhhh, maybe he's working. the second time..... maybe he's in the shower. each attempt becomes more frustrating, so you appear to be coming on too strong. so by the time you get a hold of the customer (especially you!:D ) its gonna get rough.
    Maybe you shouldn't have done the work unless he was home, if you didn't have any previous work with this guy. But did you come on strong....... I don't think so. Would he have called you 6 times that day if his grass wasn't cut for his weekend bar be que, you're damn straight he would.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Bobby, I just cant imagine you being aggressive LOL Seriously, I dont think you done anything unethical. He knew you were coming and should have left you the check. I believe some folks like to play this "I will wear him down game" and hope you will give up.Not me!! Ill hound the he$$ out of them, I got one lady I have been by her house 12 times in last 7 days and finally got half my money. Will keep going by till I get the rest. I got her out of shower this morning at 6:55 AM Damn did I enjoy doing that! LOL

6. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++was i too agressive?++++

No. He made you wonder about whether or not you were going to get paid.

++++left messege with my cell #. he don't call.++++

Very simple. This guy was either waiting until it was more convenient to pay or he was planning on not paying at all. How hard would it have been for him to pick up the phone and act like a man instead of a coward?

DFW Area Landscaper
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

You handled it just fine.

PS. . .I hope you had something nice to say to him about that comment he made about you getting off his back!!!
  8. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

How much time and effort did you waste chasing a mow and branch trimming? Is it really worth your time to offer one time mowings if you've got plenty of other work? Only you know the answer but something to consider.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

nope. i pulled up, got out, leaked anti freeze all over the road in front of his house, kicked the front door, he opened it, i put out my hand, he greased it, i said, "thanks dude, it's been a pleasure, call me if u need anything else." he looked frightened
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no bob. I have never known you to be too agressive.

but if you were gonna extend him credit, you shoudda checked his rating first.