1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

was I too high???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JLong, Mar 9, 2007.

1. JLong

JLong LawnSite Member

I went and looked at a job the other day for an older lady. The job entailed removing 8, 3-4inch in diameter hunny suckle shrubs (roots and all), and hauling off 3 rail road ties. I called her back today and told her the job would be around 200 bucks. she freaks out and says that is way higher than she planned on. was this too high in your opinions??? thanks
  2. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

absolutely not..removal of rr ties is expensive dumping them is at least 30each do to creosol content..must be properly disposed of i would charge at least $450 for the job in NY
  3. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Most people do not realize everything it takes to do even the smallest of jobs I believe you are ok on the price
  4. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

I would say $200 would be a bit low. Wait till she gets an estimate from someone else.
  5. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is to low that is alot of work if the bushs are at all big. Maybe offer her a little bit lower (not a whole lot though) to cut the bushes down and leave the roots. Put something on them to make them root.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge her more and give here a payment plan over so many months. LOL
  7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh thats way to cheap. be glad you didnt get it...that would be about $350+ here!
  8. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

he right, i am ny here also and i would charge about the same thing. on a lot of side jobs people dont really care who that get. its just all about who is the cheapest. i would have never charged as low as you and if i did then the job would have to take about an 1hour to do. so just move on to the next client and dont sweat it
  9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Little old lady says it all........love them but either they don't want to pay or have medical bills that makes it so they can't pay.

Btw- I wouldn't touch the job for under $500......removing stumps/roots and all
  10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont see now days how we can do anything under 500.00