1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

was i wrong to send a bad e-mail to my competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Apr 14, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i lost a small weekly job to a competitor/friend of mine. and i sent him an e-mail stating that i was upset they under bid me. he in turn got extremely up set that i sent him that e-mail. i called him later to try and explain myself but we seem to have 2 different opinions.

they are a larger landscape company and a few years ago they started getting more and more into lawn service. they have also been going to other businesses that i mow for and are trying to bid on them

i went to high school and was good friends with him. in the past i would refer landscape jobs to them. last year i probably referred... maybe $1000 of work to them.

i explained that i didn't feel it was right that he underbid me when he knew i was already mowing it. i explained that i had a good relationship with the other lco in town and i would feel bad if i bid against him because he gave me work in the past, much like i've been giving them work.

his argument was that he appreciated the work that i was referring to them but that they called them and wanted a quote and that business is business.

it wasn't like my quality was bad i've been mowing the yard for about 5 years. they always bid it out and i was always a little cheaper so they stuck with me. they explained that this new bid was for much cheaper.

i guess i'm looking for a new dirt supplier and someone to refer landscape jobs to.

should i have just bit my lip or did i have a good reason to be upset? i really don't want to wreck a friendship over this.
  2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I try to do the same as you. If I know the person doing the work at the propety that wants a bid, I kindly excuse myself from the bid. In return I would expect the same or be upset just like you.

3. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

If they called him for a bid then let it go...if they are going over and targeting your companies then that is different. Personally, business is business and we try to stay out of it with friends whenever possible. We do have good friends in the same business and we just dont go AFTER each others work but if one of their customers comes to us we let our buddy know and we do give a quote based on our costs...not to just underbid.
  4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Fair Game.

I've had people tell me, 'Don't hurt us and we won't hurt you'. I tell them I advertise to the general public and that's my business.

I've also had people tell me they don't "fund" companies that compete with them and so won't sub to me anymore. I'm fine with that too.

I've also subbed from company's who told me NOT to take their jobs and they will sub clean-ups to me. I'm fine with that arrangement to, I never even considered taking the few weekly maintenance jobs that were offered to me through this arrangement. I won't steal from people that sub to me but...

But at the same time I run ads and distribute flyers, what comes from that is my business.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

business is business, ive gotten a few calls from commercial places that i long time friend of mine already mows. i bid it based on my costs one i got one neither of us got but there was never any hard feeling toward one another. if they called him then it is fair game. just curious did he bid it and just happened to be lower or did he lowball it?
  6. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

he said he bid it like normal. but it's way under average concidering what the other bids have been in the past.
  7. willider

willider LawnSite Member

Spray round up on the front yard at night....a few days later ask the owner what the heck is that new company doing to your yard!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Bad advice.......................

casaron is more subtle, yet accomplish the same thing.

both would be bad form imo, let it go.
  9. willider

willider LawnSite Member

I was just kidding.....:dizzy::dizzy:
  10. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I have no friends in business.