Was I wrong?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowerMoney, Jul 30, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I've had this customer since the beginning of last year. They are a senior couple with medical conditions that keep them housebound. They were very pleased with what I did for them last year and she even said that "I was a gardener after her own heart".

Well, this year they always seem to have some attitude with me. When I would go to their door with some advice about fertilizing, watering, etc or their monthly invoice, they would only say a few words and practically close the door in my face.

Four weeks ago, they called and said the lawn wasn't growing (we have been having a drought) and didn't need cutting. They have inground irrigation and obviously have been watering some. Since I also cut next door, I checked the lawn and it could have used a clean up but I let it go. The next week again they call and say don't cut yet. Again I check and the grass is about 5 - 6" lg, but I let it go. The third week they don't call, so I cut it. It was so long that I had to cut it 2 times and 3 times in some places. I only charge $25 per cut (seniors discount and 10 cuts on this street in a seniors village), but because it took twice as long to cut, I charged them $35, but not double. I explained in detail to her why the extra cost. WOW, a whole $35 from them for the entire month.

She was not very pleased but did pay it. The next day she calls and says that they "No longer require my services, that they have hired someone else to cut". When I asked why, she said they didn't like my attitude????????
    No, I don't have contracts, but am seriously considering it for next season. So many of these seniors must think that lawn cutters are only doing this for beer money.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Let it go and go find a new one. I try to stay away from the older folks for that reason.
  3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

same here, me and old people just don't see eye to eye most of the time.

25 bucks a cut, that account can be replaced with something better.
  4. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

But like I said, I have 10 accounts on this street, where some are 3 in a row so I can cut all 3 in 1 hour making $75 per hour. The rest of the accounts seem to be okay with me.

Did I mention that this lady also said that my 36" mower was too heavy for her lawn. Some people feel that you should be there for over an hour for that $25. After all, our overhead is only the gas that we use, right? So our profit must be about $24 per that hour.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Don't feel bad.. these things happen.Just continue doing the rest of them in there and know you did the best you could for them while you cut for them and move along.Customers do come and go regularly in this biz.
  6. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand your position, but it sounds like its time to cut and run on that particular account. They can't all be "winners". People that think we are making $24 profit on a $25 job, are the same people that think the moon is made of cheese. Idiots.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with Sheshovel.
  8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a $35 minimum. So I don't have to deal with low paying jobs. Its not worth worrying over a $25 a week lawn.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it is amazing how, when a lawnboy acts like a real businessman, people suddenly "don't like his attitude." you're a great guy as long as you let people pee all over you, but when you stop allowing it, you got a bad attitude.
  10. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

when i went from my 455jd to my exmark and trimmed time off i had a few people i had to let go, seems they can't understand i have to pay for a 8500$ mower, guy says "i dont understand it used to take an hour now you can cut it in 40 minutes and my price is still the same" :dizzy: it's called efficiency, sorry maybe one day wal-mart will be in the landscaping business