Was my bid to high or was I LOWBALLED!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by V & C Lawn Service, Mar 9, 2011.

1. V & C Lawn Service

V & C Lawn Service LawnSite Member

:confused:Hi out there, I'm starting to get more calls in for bids to do jobs because of referrals from other customers who appreciate my work. I also have my website finally up and running. www.vclawnservice.com stop by and check it out. I will definitely appreciate some feedback. However, I did a bid for a potential client and here is a description of services along with the bid amount. Lawn size is 12,917 sq ft. Initial service charge was 150.00 a little leaves but alot of edge work. 35 Shrubs to be trimmed at 5.00 per= 175.00, 8 Crepe Myrtles to be pruned at 30.00= 240.00 one of the Myrtles she wanted trimmed just below her fascia board on the side of the house and not trimmed all the way down like the other 7. She also wanted 2 shrubs removed 25.00=50.00,She wanted pine bark nuggets for a 1022 sq ft mulch bed which would require 86 bags @ 3.00per bag= 86x3=258 + 8% sales tax= 278.64 x 2 (my charge for the install) = 557.28 rounded it to 560.00, My Dump fee was 50.00 for a total of 1,225.00 She said that she had other estimates and that I was much higher. However, I'm here in Fay, NC where this is the home of the 82nd Airborne Division and the area was not effected by the economy as the rest of the US. (Keep in mind the actual price for the mulch would have been 2.00per bag= 86x2=172.00+8% sales tax=185.76 x 2= 371.52 round up to 375.00) Should I have used the 2.00 format for the Mulch or use the current 3.00 formula which I charged an additional 1.00 per bag. I would love to hear some opinions out there. I know we have lowballers out here but I want to make a living and not become someone's yard boy. Please I would love to hear some opinions.

2. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I do want to ask why you charge $150 for 12,000 sq. ft of mowing....

3. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

agreed? Thats like a $35 lawn at most. also, space things out a little bit. Its a bit confusing trying to read that all and take it all in without space.

4. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Also if you were mowing charge a little extra each time and trim a couple of bushes. Crepe's take a whole season to grow back.

5. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

you said;

(Keep in mind the actual price for the mulch would have been 2.00per bag= 86x2=172.00+8% sales tax=185.76 x 2= 371.52 round up to 375.00

I don't know if this is the same as you said further up would be at $3.00/bag.

In either case, don't you have bulk materials there that would be cheaper? I can't imagine buying bags of anything due to the packaging cost. Hoe many cubic ft of material is 86 bags?

6. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like that was re-defining the edge on the beds as well, shovel work, and sounds like some leaves needed to be raked from the shrubs?

7. Agape

27 cubic feet in a yard, I agree bulk is way cheaper and better.

8. Agape

OK, not trying to be a jerk, but your site looks good, but services are not specific enough. also, you should remove the dates and times on the testimonials. It's remarkable that you got thank you e-mails from 3 different people the same day at 8:06, at 8:14, at 8:28, and then a fourth the next day. You probably did, but If people feel you are dishonest about small things, they won't trust you with important stuff. JMHO

9. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy bulk, Lose the date and times. Get a different e-mail address, Doesn't look profressional. The dates may bring up questions and this is why I laugh at pictures of everyones work. You can take pictures of anyones work and say that you did it.

10. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

by our price standard minimums we would have been able to saved her some money but not alot 75.00 on the job . One thing we do you may consider doing is do LESS work and do it More often . we had to learn to opperate this way back a few years ago to make a higher profit and to secure higher priced residential jobs ....if you do it all at once your going to present a higher bill at one time to the client and you may not get a second call back on her after the job . We would have priced the clean up at X on a monday then on thursday had a truck in there removing the dead bushes and prunning . then on say the following wednesday the edging and then on friday finish the job with the mulch . Yes you will burn more fuel BUT you also was in the neigborhood for a total of 4 days that the homeowners seenyour truck . instead of 1 day and half of that time most neigbors was at work . Doing it over a few days allows you to be seen by more possible new clients it allows a smaller check so its easier on the homeowner and that can make a small differance over the all at once guys.
    Also by breaking jobs down it may also allow you to run at a lower cost . think if its a large crew at 14.00 an hour each its X but if you have a gopher he can go dig up the bushes for 9.50 saving money by allowing your higher paid employees to be doing more appropriate jobs else where