Was my judgment correct?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stephenslawncare, Apr 7, 2007.

1. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

okay about 2 weeks ago a man called and wanted his lawn mowed just one time and it was close to some other customers so i said okay. I go take a look at it and say 40 dollars for the cut. he say okay and i said i would cut it on friday. later that day he calls me and says he is going to mow it himself so i cross him off the list. yesterday he called back and asked for it to be mowed and i said okay i will mow it tommorow and he did NOT ask for a price. so i get ther and the grass is like 10 inches tall NO JOKE!!!. so i mow it and i did not have to mow it once, twice, three times, but FOUR TIMES!!! and also spend a @$$ load of time weedwacking.I think it took me like an hour to mow and this would usually be a thirty minute job. I went to collect from him (i dont send bills for one timers) and inform him that it will be 80 dollars for the cut.payup he looks at me like WHAT and i told him blah, blah, blah and he eventually payed me but i have to ask, was I wrong in charging him that much, i was even thinking about charging him more. when i got home i spent like half an hour scraping out my deck.:dizzy: :dizzy:

2. cutterschoice24

cutterschoice24 LawnSite Member
    from Fl

I actually would have done the exact same thing so I think you did the right thing.

3. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well,

Next time do this. Before you unload one piece of equipment off of the trailer. Tell him that it is going to cost more than what you originally thought. If I quote a job for $40, then come what may, its gonna be $40. That is sticking to your word. Because see, now, that guy may say that you don't stick to your price, and that makes you look bad. Always specify your new price BEFORE starting the job.

Its all about communication. It really needs to be spelled out because even though he didn't ask for a price, he was expecting to pay you $40.

4. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

i tried to call him but his cellphone wasnt on so i just mowed it because i didnt want to just leave it undone, that doesnt look to good either and also the 40 dollar price was for mowing 2 weeks ago with 4 inch grass not mowing today with 10 inch grass. hey, he didnt ASK for a price, he just tried to take ADVANTAGE of me and see if i would hack down his grass for him.

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Right, you MUST keep your word, nothing wrong with charging $80 or more for this job, you just should have told him the price before you started.

6. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, you were in a screwy situation. I didn't know that there was a 2 week gap between mowing requests. I think I might have done the same thing. That was probobly the best thing you could have done.

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

In the end, I am sure he is less pissed that he had to pay $80 than he would have been had his grass not been mowed at all.

8. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I'm glad to hear you didn't let him get one over on you. The area we are in SW Missouri is like that all the time. I have had this happen 4 times to me this year so far. One cost a deck belt when the grass was soo tall I didn't see a roll of twine I guess. Think that scum bag thought anything of it? The trouble in our area is the massive amount of guys on disability looking for an extra buck or two, retired guys mowing for 10 bucks, and drunk in a truck operations as I call them.
    These guys don't do a good job but aren't expected to either. They are cheap and that is what folks around here care about. Sorry to vent but sometimes it's hard to take.

9. Laurentian

Laurentian LawnSite Member

I agree $80 for that job is a fair price. I had this one lady who only called me when her grass was 10" high. I did it twice too many times because I thought she would turn into a regular, then when I gave her a real price for cutting 10" of grass the 3rd time I never heard from her again. I think these people have to be charged up front for extra ordinary conditions, or they will only keep taking advantage.

10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

these problems typically arrise from non-regular customers and are ussually difficult to pick a solution. and like your case, typically you cant get in touch with them because they give a phone number they least likely to answer. in a case like that i would make every attempt to speak to him first but if not start knowing your taking a chance to only get the $40 but deffinately tell him the $80. if it was really bad id consider not doing it all together and calling him that night, telling him the new price and doing it the next day