Was my toro dealer correct?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulMoody, Feb 25, 2003.

1. PaulMoody

PaulMoody LawnSite Member

My Toro dealer tells me that Toro can't produce the 2 cycle mowers anymore because of E.P.A. standards. He said that Honda will be making the 4 stroke replacement engine for Toro. Is this correct? I'd hate to lose the 2 cycle engine.:cry:
  2. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

I do belive he was right they doing away with the suzuki two cycle.And i do see honda engines in various catolog on the proline series
  3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I know you are both correct.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want a toro proline 2-cycle. Get it NOW they won't be around long.

If you want a Honda, they'er on their way.
  5. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

Which engine do you guys prefer?
  6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few of the Toro 21" mowers, always liked them. I wonder how long parts will be available after they discontinue them. The Honda 21" has a little more horsepower, but the mower is heavier. Personally, I think it is a hassle mixing 2 cycle oil anyway.
  7. Yes that is correct and also STIHL may not be producing 2 cycle for mutch longer because they cant meet EPA standards

LQQKS like ECHO is still #1
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is quite true. Say goodbye to the Toro Proline 2-cycle. I will miss seeing them around.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

toro ripped me off! just had to say it
  10. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad they are getting rid of those 2 cycle motors on the toros. Ive always liked a Honda motor better than that 2 cycle on the proline 21s. The reason I say this is that I have owned 2 toro 2 cycle mowers(both new) and from day one have always had problems with the jets getting clogged or plugs fowling out. I much prefer the 4 cycle motors by far even though I have to change the oil, I just use synthetic oil so I don't have to change oil that often. JMO