1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

was thinking

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by exmark72, Oct 9, 2005.

1. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

what do u guys think of the idea of making flyers and put them in mail boxs advertizing leaf cleans ups. the street i live on half the people are old and would probably hire me. right now i only have 2 accounts and only one needs leafs cleaned up. so what do u guys think.
  2. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

where did you get that equipment for only having 2 accounts?

....Putting flyers in mailboxes is illegal....
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Putting fliers in a mailbox is a no-no! Post office can fine you big time for this if it has not been stamped and mailed. Im not sure about hanging them on the outside of the mailbox, will have to check but I think that is illegal to. Have seen it discussed on here but cant remember what was legal and what was not, but I do know you do not put them in the box.
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

nothing inside, attached or connected to the mailbox....very BAD idea....
  5. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

i got the equip. b\c the lawns i mow including mine r pretty big 1.5 to 2 hours each thats mow weedwack and blow using the 36" now there no more then an hour. also b/c next yr i am looking to get 15-20 accounts so.... i know in the mailbox is not legal but outside is legal or i might just talk to the people directly i dunno
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

nothing inside, attached to or connected to the mail box
  7. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

dave my mom works for the post office and i asked her she said on the outside is ok dont u people answer the idea end of the question
  8. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

End of question? Your mom doesn't know what she is talking about.

I am a delivery supervisor at the USPS and you cannot attach anything to any part of the mailbox. You need to follow Dave's advice!
  9. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Just tape 'em to the front door. Use a 1 1/2" strip of 3/4" masking tape and place them on the frames of storm doors (not the glass, smudges tick people off) or on a doorknob, hinge or some metal part of wooden doors (paint/varnish coming off with the tape also ticks people off). I helped a friend years ago pass out fliers to advertize his business and once we started taping them up this way we got no complaints and slightly higher responses. People appreciate your taking pains not to smudge or damage their doors.
  10. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

P.S.: Sorry about the idea part of your post. I can't answer that as I have no idea how fliers advertising leaf removal would do.