Was this a fair price?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Pinehilllandscaping, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Pinehilllandscaping

Pinehilllandscaping LawnSite Member

I just had a customer that saw some of my work and wanted me to give him a quote on landscaping for his house. Customer wanted an area 100' long and varying widths from 3' to 6' landscaped. I drew up a plan which consisted of roughly 60 plants, trees, annuals, with a price of $3700. Now this price included sod removal, mulch installation, cost of materials , haul fee for removal of cut sod, and a design fee. My total cost for materials was around $1500 the rest would have been labor at a rate of $35/pr man hr for myself and a helper at $12/hr. Customer said the price was to high and I offered to do it cheaper with smaller plants but that was the best I could do. Am I in the ballpark with this price? Too high or too low? ANy thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

When doing jobs that involve alot of work,if you get the deer in the headlights look,you should always be ready to break the job down into phases.

phase 1-------Removal of the sod and the bed creation and hauling debris
    Phase 2 -------could be providing and installing the plants

The design fee unless you are or pay a Landscape Designer
    could be waived

2 1/2 times the material cost is 3750.00
  3. Pinehilllandscaping

Pinehilllandscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. So I take it was in the ball park with my price?
  4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

In my opinion you are.

Have a great day
  5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I come up with about $3800 so I'd say your bid was quite fair.
  6. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

do you charge by the hour on installs? Did you tell the customer your hourly rates? Honestly I think your hourly rates are very low, I charge 50 per man for any hour of work (estimate based) that includes wages, work comp, taxes, and overhead. Price is about right for this job, but I would look into your hourly costs.
  7. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Your hourly rates are way too low. Why are you charging a different rate for you...then your helper? How do you expect to make any money off of your helper @ $12.00 an hour? I pay my guys more than that.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him you are sorry but that is the most reasonable price you can offer him..ask for your plan back and walk away.That is a VERY reasonable price.
  9. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

that will lowball the work for some tomales. Yie Yie Yie Yie Yieeeeeeeeee. Ariba Aribaaaaaaa!!!!!! And the real truth to the whole thing is they do crappy work most of the time. Then the people end up calling you back for you to do the work right.
  10. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would Charge around 4,300