was this a good move or not,i thought it worked out ok!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok so i go to a house to quote a price for an account today and as we are talking the lady starts about 40$ being more then she thought and that she didnt really need edging done so i said ok if you dont want me to edge how about 35,she agrees!
    Then she starts about only mowing every 2 weeks once the spring is over for the rest of the season because she dont want to spend too much money.
    Well i tried to talk her out of that alittle but then i realized i could lose the account altogether if i persisted and this house is in a great neighborhood near my house so i wanted it bad for the shot of maybe getting others their.

So i put some quick sales tactics to work and i told her i would make her a deal, i would Mow her from april till july for 35 weekly and then from july to nov Bi weekly but my price would then be 40$.
    I told her that i thought it was fair for both of us since she would still save some money and i wouldnt lose as much and we made the deal.
    Hey atleast i got the account and more importantly got myself into this really nice neighborhood. By the way 90% of other LCO'S would have cut this lawn for 25-30$ in the first place from everything i hear on here about pricing,the lawn was around 9k sq feet with little trimming needed.

So what do you think was that a good move on my behalf?

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I would never not edge a place just to come down on price. IMO there is NOTHING that looks worse than an un-edged yard.

3. bigw

well you didnt meet this lady lol, i tried like hell to explain that to her but she insisted i lower the price and not edge,anyway for real i am going to edge it anyway since i want others to see a nice lawn regaurdless of the price. Oh and my question was not about the edging but about the raising the price to 40$ for the bi weekly.

4. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Good luck with this one. :dizzy:
    By the way, do you have insurance? You have a lot to learn.
    But then, maybe it's just the liquid courage talking.:drinkup:

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Great move bigw.

6. bigw

lmao you dont know the half of this lady...first of all she has 2 GREAT DANES not 1 but 2 of them and they are like freaking horse's and as we are walking around the yard she tells me to excuse the PILES!!!! I say this will be cleaned up before i come everyweek right? She proceeds to say and she was DEAD serious " well to be honest with you i usally just clean it up 2 x a "YEAR" yes thats right a YEAR!!!!! I then told her as much as id like to mow her lawn id like to keep my feet and my tires clean even more so if it couldnt be cleaned up i would not take the job...she agreed to clean it. If it is not done i will not be mowing thank you very much!!

7. bigw

hmmm i dont know if you mean this or if you are just busting on me once again,ill give you the benifit of the doubt and say THANK YOU WHITEY!!!

8. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

once mid sept hits the grass grows like a weed again, so youll have to step it back up to once a week from mid sept till the 2nd week of november, when the season closes up around these parts

9. bigw

Thanks i really wasnt sure about the times, i will let her know! By the way where in horsham are you from? My wife grew up in warminster and want to Archib bishop wood. Her mom still lives down their on acorn dr. Near county line and 611

10. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

im actually in huntingdon valley is where i run out of, davisville road and county line road

my office is over in horsham on dresher road between 611 and horsham rd

what kinda machines are you running? i just bid on a place next door to ya, centennial ridge....maybe i could use a hand if i ever get into a bind if im lucky enough to land it

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=218353

and fyi our season is usually second week of april to second week of nov. some guys get out earlier and stripe the lawn, i prefer to get all my mulch work done before beginning my mowing ops, so sometimes i dont get out till the 3rd week