Was This A Smooth Move Or What?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Mar 18, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

How dumb was this!

Earlier when they arrived at the dealer I bought one of the new HRC217 Honda mowers to add to our trim mower stash. Now, I know this is also stupid but I only cranked this mower one time in the parking lot and then bought it and that was it. We were cutting today so I decided I wanted to try the new mower (really wanted to see how it mulched, compared to our Toro 21's) so I loaded up a trailer and included the new mower, of course we everything lock down and on the 21's we use cable locks hooked to the trailer sides so they don't "walk off" while we are in a back yard. I picked out a handful of the lawns scheduled for Friday (not too many because I needed to be home by 3PM to watch my Tarheels in the NCAA Tourny) and take off by myself. Anyway I used a rider all day saving the smallest lawn for last. Once there the plan was to cut the back yard which is bigger with the Z and then use the new Honda on the small front yard. Well, I get there and decide to do the front first, so I back the Z off walk up the trailer reach in my pocket and then realize, dam* I locked the new mower down and didn't bring a freakin KEY FOR THE LOCK!!!! So, I still have no idea how well a new $1200 21" mower cuts! :dizzy:

2. ABrown

ABrown LawnSite Member

I did a similar thing last week, I drive maybe 4 miles to do a mow walked around to pick up the trash. Get back to the trailer to unload the rider to find that I left the key to the mower back at the house. :dizzy:

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I did that before with our trailer about 4 years ago. I lock down the front of the trailer, and I needed to uphook it for a landscaping job, but I didn't have my key with me and I was 28 miles away from home.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I bought 50 locks that are all keyed alike and use them on everything. That way I only have 1 key for everything but the trucks. And only one keyring that is always with me.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sucks getting old, huh Mike...LOL :D

6. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

All my locks have the same key and I always keep an extra one in my tool box just incase!

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep an extra set in my glove box. I've had this same kind of thing happen to me before, but never again.

8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys are just getting warmed up. Loaded the trailer with all the needed implaments. Made sure everthing had fuel, oil, water for me and off I go. Live next to a school so I fight the early morning traffic and crossing guards to finally make the Tom Thumb for a cup of coffee. Park out in a spot used for trucks with trailers. Walk in purchase my coffee and head back out to the truck. Dang forgot I had disconnected the trailer after work. Turn around to get trailer. Sad thing is that this is not the first time I have done this.

9. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

The early season bugs :realmad I do the same bull still cant seem to get it right maybe someday! ;)

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

WOW I have not gone that far but did park in a spot that was for a car, got out and walked into the store. As I turn to glance back out I realize that the trailer is on and now it is hanging out in the driveway.

As Rod said--age is a bummer.