was this proper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dr grass, Jun 30, 2002.

1. dr grass

dr grass Banned

Today i was cutting a residential and the client came out to b.s. with me for a few. when he walked up to shake my hand he said that he had hurt it and stuck out his left hand. im amadextrious and my first reaction was to shake with my left hand also. when we were done talking and i started cutting again, i was wondering if this was proper etiquite? what do you guys think? :confused:

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Are you kidding? I shake my clients hands when they come up to talk to me. As long as you didnt shake his hurt hand, i dont really understand what youre worrying about. Shaking their hands is a lot better than saying "Oh you, nice to see you".
  3. dr grass

dr grass Banned

i always shake clients hands when i see them. i was just wondering about proper etiquitte. ok , ive been accused of being a perfectionist about my business a time or 2 b4, so bear with me. i know im probably worried about nothing .... sorry

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Unless he thinks you shake hands like a girl.....you have nothing to worry about.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would shake with the left hand in a heart beat. I do it with friends some times just for a joke.
  7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

You must be new to this business. Bro, don't sweat the small stuff. They're not gonna thing different of you if you shake their unhurt hand. You have a lot more to worry about.
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yo shep--yepper. you blew it. the hand shake is always right handed.

in the event that you are extended the left, you still shake right.

it feels wrong but that's the way it is.

I am an authority on the subject as a result of growing up in a southern baptist church.

all we ever did was shake hands! my right arm is bigger than the left!

as for your foo-pah, let it go. everything is still OK!

9. dr grass

dr grass Banned

lawnkid - new to the business???!!!!??? ive been cutting grass longer than you have been alive son. dont sweat the small stuff!?!?!? the small stuff is what stands out in a clients mind. if you just go in to the yard, do the minimum amount of work, and leave. it shows. the "small stuff" is what makes them keep coming back.

geo - thanks for the answer bro. thats the kind of answer i was looking for. like i said b4 im very maticulous. i like things dont right the first time. thanks again.

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yeah, it is the small things that count.

A handshake, a brief chat about the family, a Christmas card or 'Get Well Soon' card......these are what sets you apart from the crowd in the eyes of the client.

Also "it's the thought that counts".

You shook the man's hand as a gesture of friendship...that's the main thing. :)