Was this someone on here?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RussellB, May 16, 2014.

1. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Hope it wasn't but would like to hear what happened. FINDLAY, Ohio (AP) — A university in northwest Ohio is being forced to replace almost all its grass after weedkiller was accidentally applied to lawns instead of fertilizer.

University of Findlay spokeswoman Brianna Patterson says the chemical was applied to campus lawns during the last week of April and it will take several weeks to reseed and re-sod the affected areas.

Patterson tells the Findlay Courier (http://bit.ly/1k7MJ30 ) for a story Friday the mistake is unfortunate because of how hard the university works to keep the campus looking nice.

Findlay University did not release the name of the company that made the mistake but is working with the business' insurance company to pay for it to be fixed.

The university says grass was killed on as many as 54 of the campus' 72 acres.

2. RussellB

Wow. Open the other article (above). There talking huge money.

3. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Jersey

This is when you are glad you have insurance.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

$40K an acre?

BS

Good reason to use granular. Although I'm sure they were doing broadleaf at the same time.

Happened a few years back around here. Killed lots of lawns. Another one I drive by frequently is also starting to turn brown. Not sure what it was, because the coverage is horrible. Then again, so was the first company I referenced. They had 1-3' wide strips of green grass between the dead grass. It was horrible.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Never store Glyphosate or other non selectives near selectives. I can see how this could easily happen. 2 drums or cubes next to each other. One contains Glyphosate, the other Three Way. The guy pumping in the herbicide not paying attention to which container he is dispensing from. I would never have that problem myself because most of my selectives come in little bottles. RoundUp is the huge blue bottle. Kudos to Monsanto for making their bottle shape and color radically different from other products. They do not package in the generic rectangular bottles.

6. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

OH MY! That would make for a bad year. lol A few guys may lose their job for that mistake.

7. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I came on here to post this same article

8. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

54 acres. How many times did they make the same mistake mixing?

9. RussellB

I was wondering the same thing. Wouldn't you notice at some point that you have the wrong product?

10. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

If it was someone on here I highly doubt that they would admit it.

That is scary.