Was this the worst rotor ever made?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Two pics here. This rotor to me was such a bad idea when I first saw it I refused to learn how to operate it. Is this one on anybodies favorite list?

The second is, well I'll reserve comment, but somebody robbed the adapter off an old richdel popup. Force threaded it on a RB popup that was too low and put on a toro nozzle in order to get it to popup above the grade.

DSC00167.JPG

DSC00171.JPG

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

my lord that second pic made me cringe just a lil...

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You have to give that second picture a tip of the Super700 cap, for ingenuity.

As for the V-1550, I have some of the shrub heads, and they've been fairly well-behaved, and drop enough water close to the head to function on a stand-alone basis.

4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

every v-1550 i came across got stripped out somehow

5. Wet_Boots

Toro seems to be intent on having non-strippable gear drives on their head. I thought the V-1550 was supposed to be non-strippable. Their TR-50 is non-strippable.

Of course, if one's memory goes back far enough, the first Hunter rotors were made with clutches in them, and could only be had in fixed angles (with 15° increments) - that didn't last too long, even with the advantage of a gear drive you couldn't strip.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We received some Toro V-1550 samples when they first came out. They went immediately into the trash so I don't know how they worked. :)

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Was the V-1550 the head that was supposed to be able change its arc while rotating?

I don't remember.

8. service mgr1

service mgr1 LawnSite Member

the v-1550 was the worst for sure. the seals leak so bad i have had to replace an entire lawn full of those things more than once. nice idea. terrible results.

9. That is exactly what was happening and what we did on this job. By the way welcome to the site.

10. Wet_Boots

You mean you didn't try to install new seals on all the heads? :p