1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

was this wrong of me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 7, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this one time, this guy called for an estimate on maint. i went over, looked over the place, went in, and wrote down an itemized estimate for all the services. with total and complete disrespect, the guy is sitting accross from me at the table, looking over the quote, laughing and shaking his head. he tosses it back accross the table and says, "now let's try this again, see if we can get it right this time." i say, "well, let me get my calculator, i'll see where we can come down to better suit you." i go out to the truck, get in, and drive away. is there a better way to handle things like this?
  2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Move to another town so you can get into a better neighborhood and you won't run into these twilight zone out of this world people.

Of course with the way you deal with people maybe you belong in that neighborhood.

:) :)
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

NO! you should of doubled the price.
  4. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

well, you always have several alternatives. Given that you have said you aren't exactly hurting for the work, I would say this was as good a way as any of telling the guy to "f.o!"
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

oh come on, certainly one of you is bound to say, "you should have educated the customer".......ha ha ha ha, this is my favorite lawnsite saying, this and , "there is more than enough work out there for everyone, welcome to the business, welcome to lawnsite".
  6. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

why didn't you work things out with him?
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby their is no hope for your mowing area neighborhood so we can't use the standard tried and true sayings. :) :)
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My reply would have been, "Sorry to hear you cannot afford us. Good day sir", extend my hand to shake his and simply leave. Screw saying anything about getting out a calculator or sharpening your pencil. Just color me gone. Guy is simply a f***ing jerkweed bobby and is probably doing you a favor in the long run. That scenerio is a no brainer IMO. Period

What's the barber say? Next!
  9. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

"Sorry to hear you cannot afford us. Good day sir"
    Now thats a classic. Then the sound of a closing door.
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

rodfather, i like that. i like it alot. it kind of let's me say go f yourself, without saying it. it also puts them on the spot. i would expect a comeback once in awhile from that like, "well, i didn't SAY i can't afford you, it's just that, well, does that include everything?" i'll try it