Wash and Sharpen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fwilamosky, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Fwilamosky

Fwilamosky LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering how often you wash your mowers? Not blow off from debris, but wash. Also, how often you sharpen your blades?

2. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

weekly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

We mow about 63 yards a week and we do a full trailor and mower clean at the end of week and then we sharpen and grease mowers each week also. We change oil about once a month or two. But Im sure we could do more maintenance also.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I will keep saying it over and over it is dumb to wash a machine that is not water proof in many places:hammerhead::hammerhead: Blow it off and leave it.

5. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

wash, wax, and power buff weekly:)

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Right before we start mowing for the season we wash all equipment. During leaf season we power wash the mowers a few times when excess wet leaves are stuck to them. Other than that normal maintenance, kind of a waste of time to wash a mower that will be just as dirty after the first lawn. We have better things to do with our time. We do change blades weekly on all of our small mowers and the large mowers daily.

7. We wash them every week, and no problems with them.

8. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

We know you dont wash. You are a broken record with no proof of what you say. We dont wash yours we wash ours. You dont pay for our mowers so stay off wash threads and let us happily ruin our mowers. My Hustler manual specifically says "IMPORTANT: Wash the machine with a mild detergent and water."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Beat me to it. Thanks. It gets old seeing crap with no basis in reality.

I wash every other week. I'd wash weekly if I mowed as many yards as some guys here do. I've been doing that to my equipment for a couple decades, and nothing has ever gone wrong with any of it from washing them regularly. In fact, a good case could be made that they last longer without dirt in all the nooks and crannies wearing on anything that might rub against anything else. They certainly stay nicer looking for far longer, which is always a plus when you sell or trade in.

10. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

I edited my prior post but I will add it here too. The manual for my mower says specifically to wash with mild detergent and water.

Scag TT manual has this to say "Wash the entire mower after each use."

John Deere says this about 997s "Follow automotive practices to care for your vehicle painted metal surfaces. Use a high-quality automotive wax regularly to maintain the factory look of your vehicle's painted surfaces."

I'm sure many more say the same or similar, I think I have proved my point.