Wash and Sharpen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fwilamosky, Mar 11, 2013.

1. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

I mow 60 to 70 a week. Residential and a few commercial. I change blades every day, sometimes twice. New blades do wonders. Just a rinse here and there. If I hit dog crap in there yard I wash it off right there if there is a hose. I HATE that. Blow air filters out every 2 days or if I feel like it was really dusty that day.
  2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Once a year....Maaaaaybe. Rain is enough water on them let alone a pressure washer blasting into places it doesn't belong.
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

So don't use a pressure washer. Just use the garden hose. It's all I ever use and it works fine. Makes it nice having it fairly clean when doing maintenance on your machine too.
  4. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Wash EOW blades weekly, touch up paint and two layers of wax at the end of the season. You have to look sharpe to charge the big bucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Fwilamosky

Fwilamosky LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for insight. Anybody know any good sharpeners and balancers? I've been looking at Oregon brand
  6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

A bench grinder with adjustable tool stop, 4" angle grinder, cheap plastic cone balancer from HD.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Even if it was smart who has time to wash off a mower, mine usually gets washec real good 1 time per year. I blow it off after everyyard.

I usuall shappen blades every 10 days or sooner if needed. In the fall I dont sharpen them and run throw them out before spring. Leaves tend to wear out blades.
  9. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

we wash our machines 3-4 times in a season, at least 2 times a season I will apply degreaser to the rims and any other surface that has build up, at the end of the season it gets a major clean and then FX 2 wax is applied

As for sharpening blades, a sharpe set is put on the mowers before each day of work
  10. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

we have the oregon, great machine