1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wash and Sharpen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fwilamosky, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jschultznorth

jschultznorth LawnSite Member

We use the oregon as well with the cheapo plastic balancers. Really I don't mind just using a grinder and vise myself though.
  2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I wash my mowers every time I get caught in the rain. I sharpen the blades every 2-3 weeks.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i washed mine when i first bought it and maybe 1 time in 2 years. i do blow it off after i cut every yard. i wipe it off with a rag and water or cleaning product every now and then to keep it looking clean.

i sharpen blades once every 2 weeks.
  4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

It took a few years for me to learn what you speak of but I'm on your side, there's absolutely no sense in it.

As for sharpening blades, not including 21's, every time a mower needs fuel I do maintenance, among other things this includes sharpening the blades.
  5. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

sharpen daily in the spring, every other day when it slows down. Wash real good every winter and a few times in between when I get a chance.
  6. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

I wash mine only when needed. I blow dust off of everything with compressed air daily, including the air filter, very important to me. I sharpen my blades once or twice a week. after 5 sharpenings, I pull out a new set.
  7. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Wash it right before I sell it.
  8. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes! Now we're talkin. > ""Wash it right before I sell it""
  9. MIGreenscape

MIGreenscape LawnSite Member
    from MI

Both weekly, over 1500hrs currently on one mower thats been washed from day 1 and no problems. Power washing them is bad, my 2 cents!
  10. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Couple times a season, and blades every other day depending on use. Does anyone coat the pre-filter with oil? some manuals say to do this, but I dunno, seems like it would plug up even faster.