Washboards on fairways and fringes

Discussion in 'Superintendent Forums' started by Jason, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a problem on fairways and fringes after mowing it has a washboard look. Not sure how to stop it. Its only with the reel mowers. Thanks

2. dieselfuel

dieselfuel LawnSite Member

go slower?

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The clip rate on the cutting units is not correct. Either a cutting unit with more blades needs to be used if it is a ground driven reel or else the RPM of the reel needs to be increased if it is a hydraulic drive reel

4. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

ON most achiness built before 2012 the clip rate is not adjustable. Washboarding (more appropriately called marcelling) can sometimes be a result of excessive ground speed, but is usually the result of a poorly adjusted cutting unit.

Properly grinding and adjusting the reel will solve this problem in the vast majority of cases.

5. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply's I will let them know. Speed is what they figured the issue is. They were going to put a 3rd roller on the cutting unit to see if that helps. But I will let them know.

6. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe one other thing to check is roller bearings. It sounds really obvious, but it's also easy to overlook. If the bearings on the rollers are worn, it cna cause the roller to roll untrue and give a washboard appearance.

When I've deal with these in the past, it usually takes a couple of tries and adjustments to get it all worked out.