Washing Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Feb 16, 2003.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would think most of you guys like to keep a clean image. You know, keeping your equipment neat and clean.
    I believe that a clean image represents us and our companies in a very positive way to our clients.
    I also frown on the fact of my equipment getting wet or weathered for any reason. I hate to get caught in the rain (open trailer) or the thought of taking a high pressure washer and soaking every bare metal part of my equipment.

Do you wash your equipment often? Do you have any problems with things rusting? (spindles, shafts, nuts/bolts, springs, etc.) What are your methods of keeping a clean image?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'll give the equipment a good cleaning 3 times a year. EWT washes his stuff everyday- looks great!
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Actually Walker recommends NOT using high pressure water or water at all. I really clean the whole thing once a year before the winter nap. Otherwise its the backpack blower and mayby an exterior rinse if it really gets muddy. I have an EFI and the H2O isn't the best for the electronics.

I agree with the good looking part, image is important so the cosmetic cleanings do help in the grand scheme, I just dont go overboard. (water reference, haha)
  4. most of the time i use the pressure washer but sometimes it can stip the paint and i really hate that . i also use compressed air to blow out debris , and some times i use a paper towel with hand cleaner on it to clean around the engine and electronics
  5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I blow everything off with my blower every time we get done. No grass or dust. If for some odd reason our equipment gets muddy I will wash it, as need be.
  6. we wash are mowers nightly in the seaon and power wash the under side of the decks quite a bit during the spring.Never have had problems of rusting either .I even wax the ztr's monthly.I try to keep my mowers looking like brand new.But i am a neat freak:D
  7. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

Every day after work we blow off the equipment, then we rinse off all the equipment (under decks too)with a garden hose (We don't use a pressure washer) and air dry.We don't spray water into the carbs or into the exhausts. We lightly spray(mist) the backpacks and other 2 cycles.
    At the end of the last day of the work week we rinse off all the equipment with water again , air dry then spray all the equipment with liberal amounts of WD-40.
    Several times a year we clean of all the equipment with soap and water, air dry, WD40 all.
    I've done this for years to all my equipment .
  8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Does anyone use over the counter de-greaser for a cleaner?
  9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Grease Lightning.
  10. i have a Degreaser made to run though preasure washers . they use it to clean skips and equipment at the salt mine that my dad works at and it works really well.