washing equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PicturePerfect, Jun 28, 2004.

1. PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect LawnSite Member

How many of you pressure wash your equipment on a regular basis?

Do you have a dedicated area?

My business is based at home and I have found it makes a real mess with grease and grass clippings.

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i usually just use my bp blower on the last job of the day and blow off equipment it works the best

3. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

Just blow it off. If something is greasy I squirt a little engine cleaner on it and hose it off in about one min. Never pressure wash for it will put water in places that you don't want it.

4. Goodguy001

Goodguy001 LawnSite Member

washing equipment is great, BUT, take measures not to have this bite you in the butt down the road. When washing a hot mower, the bearings (clutch,spindles) suck the water in like a sponge. It is highly recommended to run the unit with blades engaged for 10 - 15 minutes to heat up and eveporate the water or bearings will rust and go out.

5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah we do same thing...

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

we only wash mowers about 2 or 3 times a year because water on them and what not makes them look bad tough to clean with blower.. and we just use a degreaser and a regular hose no pressure it keeps water out of tight places becasue there is no force

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I take all my stuff to the carwash once every two or three weeks. All the grass and gunk goes down their drain, not in my driveway. According to my Exmark owners manual, it isnt good to wash the mower. They say "just blow it off", but I cant help it. I like to have my equipment realtively clean.

8. Hrock

Hrock LawnSite Member

superclean works great, spray it on and it wipes right off, or just hose it. Im sure engine degreeser works good too.

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

that's what the rain is for........ and since i don't have time to take shower lately, i just stand in the rain with my blower on my back, the degreaser works better then "Irish Springs".

i hose my mowers off at this one house full of dog crap, once a week. If not I blow them off if remember when i'm puttin gthem back on the truck.

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If I had a nickel for each mower I have had to rewired because the wiring was eat up by Purple Power or Dixie Red and such cleaners I would never have to work ever again. Be careful what kind of cleaner or soap you use or you will be paying some one like me to rewire your machine.