1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

washing home with lead paint

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by wildstarblazer, Oct 14, 2012.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Is there hazards when power washing older homes that may have lead paint?

2. Pressure Washing Cleve

Pressure Washing Cleve LawnSite Member

First, test for lead. If lead paint was used, you're responsible for any chips blown off.

3. SClawns

SClawns LawnSite Member

Also any work done on homes that contain lead paint require you to be lead safe certified. I became certified when i was in weatherization work and with all of the crazy rules and procedures you have to take to be legal there is no way you could charge a reasonable price for the jobs. It doubles to triples the time it takes to do even simple things. I would personally steer clear of anything with lead after going through the training. not because of the lead but because of stupid, excessive regulations.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Really? If the paint is intact it should be a walk in the park.

5. SClawns

SClawns LawnSite Member

I agree that it should be extremely easy to to do as long as the paint is in good shape. But just working on a home with lead paint and not being certified is a $37,500 fine per job per day. Now I never saw anything specific to power washing during the course so it may fall under different rules completely but i would make sure before i touched it. If the same rules apply then regardless of whether paint comes off or not you must have barriers set up to stop the travel of the paint on the ground and on any bushes and trees. excessive, yes. That's why the EPA has me sketched out on touching anything with lead anymore.

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I need to read the rule but cleaning is not a renovation or remodeling.