Washing Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evan528, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

when the grease and grime really builds up i spray engine gunk all over my mower and wait a few minutes.... wors exellent on removing grease mud and anything else on a mower to bring it to a shine!

2. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

whatever ya do dont power wash ..gets the crud in deeper keep the fins clean on the mowers we have white trucksonce or every 2 weeks works

3. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Do most of you wash your mower at home or do you just take it to the car wash? How often to you wash them. Or maybe you don't wash them at all. Thinking about taking my Walker to the wash. Do you spray off the engine also, when the engine is COOL of coarse. Thanks for you input. Mowman

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I wash mine each weekend at home. The more often you clean them up, the easier it is to get clean. Once the build up of grass grime gets on everything, it is very hard to get off. This winter I'm going to have the deck on my old Chopper sandblasted and re-paint the deck and put all new decals on the stainless steel to make it look like new again. If my equipment isn't new, I try to make it look new. I figure after all the hours of service it's given me, it deserves a face lift. It will hit 3,000 hours next week, but I've seen mowers with 50 hours on it that didn't look as good.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I clean mine at home at least once a week,sometimes twice.I bought a pressure washer from Homedepot,a sweet 11hp honda with 3200psi/4gpm.It will clean anything off that deck in no time,I just hate the pile of junk when im done,Im thinking about putting in a small pit like I have at golf course.I wash the motor but i keep full pressure away from it and any bearings/seals.At least once a season I pull off all the shrouds from the engine and clean all the fins,you wouldnt beleive how quick the fins get blocked,and thats the biggest killer of air-cooled engines.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

mowman: I would only recomend spraying the deck.I used a power washer on my Walker and had lots of trouble with all the sealed bearings.I changed out every bearing on the machine and only blow with air now.

7. kaiserscuts

kaiserscuts LawnSite Member
    from N.J

I wash my exmark once aweek at least. make sure under the deck is cleaned every day.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The mower gets washed the same time as the truck; once in the spring, and whenever it rains ;)<p>Bill

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I found that using Castrol Super Clean solution will have the mower looking like new.<br>Just spray on and let it sit for 5-10 min and then rinse with a garden hose. It will cut even old grease and engine oil. I had a 17 hp Kawi with a bad crankcase gasket, it was spraying oil all over the front of the drive unit and the rear of the deck, and you all know how fast all the dirt and grass sticks to the oil. Well anyway one soak down with the solution and a rinse and it looked like new. Had the gasket fixed and still looks good. We only wash 2x a year, in the middle and at the end, and they still look like new.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

10. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

hey guys and girls make sure you get out the grease gun after every washdown and pump fresh grease in those fittings to flush water out..