Washing or cleaning Isuzu Npr Diesel engine?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by deeps, Jan 12, 2006.

1. deeps

deeps LawnSite Member

Hello,

I just bought a Isuzu Npr truck 1997 and it looks kind of dirty and I want to wash it. I have bought the foam spray cleaner from Kragen, but just before do it I want to make sure there is nothing wrong spraying the foam cleaner on the Diesel engine then scrubbing it with a brush and then wash it off with a water hose.

If there is somethings that I need to cover and what other precautions should I take? Thanks:waving:

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just be careful around electrical fittings/connections and use low pressure water, dont blast away at electrical fittings.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Thats the beauty of diesals (at least the old ones), they would virtually run underwater as long as they could get air :)

Not much electrical. Of course, this all stopped in the mid 90's when everyone went Common Rail.

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

you can use a pressure washer to clean it and try easy-off oven cleaner works great and alot less than engine degreaser

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

On a simliar note, there are many people in the Bay area who run and operate pressure washing businesses. For $50.00, they could have the thing done and let them get that crap blasted all over their face.

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I've used Simple Green for years and its pretty good, even with out pressure washing. I would advise against oven cleaner. There are other cleaners out there also that have adverse effects on aluminum engine parts.

7. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Hey buddy, my company had a valve cover gasket blow (whoops!) and we were told by our diesel mechanic to use spray brake cleaner to clean all the gunk off the outside of the motor, and it worked good.