1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Washington DC, US Capitol, Organic lawn care

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

This photo's was taken by my next door neighbor that does work for the National Park Service.
    This work was done by safelawns and landscaping, now remember this photo was taken January 21 2008. Temperatures have probably been below freezing for a while.

NO FERTILIZERS........... only compost and compost tea's

Looks like a summer day to me, great turf. Work began close to October 1 2007

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have been keeping tabs on this looking good

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

This on the mall between air and space and a art museum they sprayed it with round up i would guess deep riped it than rototiller it and planted seed came in nice but the grass to the left in the trees looks better i like where the park has the mall aerated and plant seed all the little grass spots the grass only grows where the plug was removed thats some hard ground
    Charles Cue
  4. ICT Bill

Talk about a prime spot

Charles, hard ground......... you have no idea. They had to wear ear protection because of the sound when deep ripping it. compaction is an understatement. It is a 3 year test, we'll see

Sorry, no glyophosphates

There are three plots this is the totally organic one
  5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

we have known about this project since Paul and Todd dreamed it up and our favorite tree guy Pete has helped them out with his "IQ". when we all met in Florida last year the topic was hot. alot of discussions about fert, soy Vs corn base, tea pH and temp. adding clay and what kind of compost and how fine it should be.

there is about 3000 years experience on those 3 lawns, my only hope is that to many chefs.... don't spoil the soup.

and if they stick it and get good grades them we can all say " see I told you the organic thing really works" and point to the mall.
  6. ICT Bill

I spoke with Todd Harrington on Friday at the ELA show, he had just come back from DC and said the project is doing great. He had taken soil samples and was trying to get ready for the first seasons application.

We are about three weeks ahead of Conn. as far as the spring season goes so he was a little surprised on how far along everything was here.

Todd is in charge of the project as far as the one organic panel goes but is working in concert with the National Park Service
  7. treegal1

Good to hear it has been months since we last spoke,our spring was DEC 27 2007 we are in summer already it seems
    most of the LCOS get 43 cuts per year in my area.we usually start feeding in Jan and again in march, we did not get a freeze this year so every thing is out of hand, the pruning schedules for this year are going to be insane

I wish all the northern boys would get down south more often, they are a good lot and fun to hang out with, the rumor mill has them down here in April or early may, I hope they come by my shop.
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like 2 or 3 weeks before I can do anything besides make firewood this year. If you need northern boys for help - it is not going to take a lot of armtwisting to get some one to come help :)
    Especially this far north. We're chomping at the bit up here.
  9. ICT Bill

I'll be in Brooksville Fl in a couple weeks, it about 45 minutes north of Tampa, I have no idea where Jensen is I guess I could mapquest it
  10. treegal1

jensen beach fl 34957 just east of lake Okeechobee

we would love to see you, whats happening in tampa?