Wasps attracted to yellow mowers?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Tubular10, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Tubular10

Tubular10 LawnSite Member

I would like to purchase a Fastrak but am concerned since I have a lot of wasps on my property. I hear that wasps are attracted to bright yellow. My house has a golden colored siding where wasps seem to always want to build nests. The last thing I want is to sit down on my Hustler mower and find a hoard of wasps coming out after me.

Has anyone had a problem with wasps building nests in your Hustler mowers?

Could it also be a problem while mowing in areas where wasps are flying? Are they attracted to these mowers?

Thanks for your input.

2. MR. Nomo

MR. Nomo LawnSite Member

I dont have time to finish this post I think the sky is falling!!!!:D

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have never heard the yellow paint theory with wasps.
    I do know for a fact no matter what brand / color machine you are mowing with bees and wasps are attracted to the noise, I have had some experience with this in the past....lol...lol... and it was not on a Hustler.

Pj

4. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I don't think anything will nest on your mower if you are using it regularly. I have noticed the wasps seem to be attracted to gasoline, They often come bother me when I'm cleaning the deck, filling gas or whatever. Just shoo them away.

5. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

I don't know about yellow mowers, but I know in this area, In the last couple of years, we have been invaded with some kind of yellow wasp. I think I looked them up on the net and they are from Brazil. They build nests in all my equipment no matter what color it is and it dosen't have to sit idle very long. Last Summer I couldn't even start the tractor until I used up a half can of hornet spray on it. The good thing is they don't seem to be very aggressive. Have had them swarm all around me but have not been stung. Anybody else have these things?

6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I haven’t had the problem with my Hustler as of yet, but when I was brush hogging with my 4-wd Kubota I ran over a nest of Yellow jackets and they sure loved nailing that diesel! Luckily I just happened to have my 25-gallon spray rig on it with pesticide and I backed off about thirty feet and gave them a bath! Got them all and I didn’t get stung once. Talk about lucky!