1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tryz, Mar 14, 2002.

1. tryz

tryz LawnSite Member

last year afew customers had a wasp nest under their deck. I suggested filling a ice-cream pail a quarter full with something sweet + sticky (kaluha, corn syrup, grenadine) mix it with a bit of water, cut a few holes near the top of the pail and put the lid on. then place it somewhere close to the hive. usually this worked, but does anyone have any other suggestions.
  2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Hit it with any (raid, ortho, etc) wasp and bee killer. I have always had good results with sprays. The bees/wasps/yellow jackets are dead in seconds. Even the nests should be controlled with these products.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

RAID kills them instantaneously most of the time. make sure you are not allergic to bees before spraying. try and do it around dusk while the bees are less active too
  4. I carry a can of wasp spray on the truck. I run into a few nests every year. The one's that nest in the ground usually get in a few stings before I get them.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I like to hit them early in the morning, just at sun up. They are sleeping (or doing whatever) in their nest. BTW, I use RAID.....dead on the spot!

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I like lighter fluid n a match ;-> ....... we'll maybe not ..... last summer at wally world they were changing the brand or clearing out bunch of stuff n got a case (24 cans) of the Ortho stuff that shots 20' at $1 @..... God I love that stuff
  7. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I used a croquet mallet once on a bee hive when I was younger. They didn't like it very much. Not a very good way to control bees.

Since I haven't used a mallet on a wasps nest, I don't think I can offer any suggestions here.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Last season was the 1st time I was not stung by anything. I made a new discovery before the season kicked off last year. I educated myself on the benefits and habits of all the little stinging buggers. Learned what not to do and it worked.

Anyway, there are times to get rid of them. If they are too close to people (decks). Then I would us a can of wasp spray and handle it.
  9. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

For above ground use the cans. but once i did a job where the wasps had been following me all day come to find out there was a triple decker nest under a big old pampas grass plant. I soaked her down with gas.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic