1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rhett, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Knew it was gong to be a bad day. At 0730, first account of the day, ran into a wasp nest in a clump of pompest grass. Neighbors laughed, didn't know a short fat middle age guy could run so fast. Took off across the yard shedding clothes as I ran. Dang things were so thick had to knock them out of my hair. Had to wait till they settled down to retrieve the weed wacker, my shirt and my safety glasses. 13 stings later was glad to get the heck out of there. Seems to be a record breaking year here for running into all sorts of biting, stinging and poisonous things. Is everyone else experiencing the same or am i dumb as an athletic sock.
  2. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i got stung five times yesterday, two were in the lip. i guess lips are sensitive or something cause it swoll up real bad and i looked like like a monster for the next three jobs. my best helper got bit by what we (and the doctor) think was a brown recluse spider last saterday on a brush job and his hand swoll up like a softball for four days (extreme pain). today... and i fully expect you to think i'm a liar... whilst mowing 10" high over grown burmuda for a new customer, we came across six snakes, five were garders and one was a water moccacine (nearby creek). i went after work tonight and bought two pairs of snake chaps cause i've seen LOTS of snakes on jobs and i figure my days of lucky brush jobs are numbered :D
  3. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Yep lots of snakes here too. I had to use my epipen the otherday. One big fat red wasp stung me on the arm.
    Good thing I keep that needle in the truck.
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

yah, you're right about a bad year. I've got 4 bee stings in two weeks to show for it. I can't remember the last time i've been stung before this year.
  5. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

I thought it was just a Florida thing with them real bad this year,Ive been stung more times this week than I have in the previous years . I used to have a Live and let Live policy with them . If they didn't mess with me ,then I wouldn't mess with them , They blew their chance with that . If I see a nest it gets the line trimmer , they usually hang out under the eaves of a house and nail you when you go line-trimming by .
    A few years ago I was trimming a Canary Palm and shaving the ferns that were growing off the trunk . I found the biggest Hornets nest Ive ever seen inside the trunk . I told my guy to get behind me with the blower and open it up full throttle on my back , that way they couldn't fly into me . I took my line -trimmer and got some good string length out , stuck it in the hole and and let it scream . I didn't get nailed by on Hornet .The entrance to the nest was about the size of a Vollyball, when I was done there was nothing left.
  6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have been getting nailed on the ankles alot. Several times on the neck. I must say that I really hate them.
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I keep at least 2 cans of spray of the truck, one in the house, 2 in the garage. I get the kind that doesn't harm plants, so they're safe nowhere with me around. I hunt them down first when possible, each new job gets the once over, and all my regulars get thoroughly searched each month or so, while weedeating or something. I'm allergic, so it's life or death with me, so when it comes to wasps/hornets, I don't play.
  8. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

no bee stings this year, but I have come across alot of spiders...came acroos alot today and was thinking, man, why is there a lot this year?..oh well, just look ahead i guess:dizzy:
  9. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

elephant, what kind of spray do you use? i've tried two differant brands of wasp/hornet spray from home depot and neither one worked worth a nickle. as i was spraying into the hole they were swarming into the spray as if they were enjoying it. didnt even knock them down. sure seemed to stir them up pretty nicely though. :eek:
  10. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

You sound like me it is life and death with me. I got stung this morning by a yellowjacket and spend all day in the ER with heart monitors and all that fun stuff.