Waste Disposal (TopSoil)

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jan 1, 2008.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what everyone does with soil they excavate on simple paver job. We always try to use what we can when we're doing a renovation of some sort, but on a lot of our paver only jobs we end with a lot soil we have to haul away.

Around here the only choice is to take it to the landfill. At $90 a ton this adds up rather quickly. Unfortunately we can eat the cost, and passing this cost on to the customer can dramatically increase the final bill. There is a recycle plant nearby by more often than not, they wont take topsoil. Especially if it has grasses and large stones mixed in it.

This upcoming spring we are looking at picking up some property to construct a storage facility for our equipment and such. Ideally if we can get a property large enough we could stock pile extra topsoil until it is needed for another project. But in the mean time we're stuck with high estimates, and hauling the stuff to the landfill.

To think.... I have to pay good money to move dirt from one part of the earth to another. Such a waste.

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

On my current job we are trucked off about 500 yards so far with another 200ish to go. Ofcourse you pass the cost on to the customer. To find a dump site the best thing to do is become friends with local builders and excavators. Someone always needs dirt.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

most grading contractors here haul from one and dump on another... charge both parties. I'm luck i have a lot of land so we stockpile it, if you have a screener you could probably resell it at a good $

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

There are websites where people will post a listing LOOKING for clean fill. As well as looking for places to dump.

We have 2 places where we dump for free.
    1) Our shop is on 25 acres and at the moment we have plenty of spaces to dump thousands of cubic yards.

2) My personal residence. I live on a mountain ridge. Part of my land is extremely sloped. So I have plenty space where I can always use clean fill.

Another avenue, being you are in MD is to call the company that has the grey roll off containers. I forget their name. Their containers are grey with red lettering (usually). EAI? Something with an "E". You see their containers all over commercial projects in MD, Balt, & DC. They will haul your spoils for a set fee, and they HAVE places to dump.

It's funny...you guys cringe over exporting soil! I love exporting soil, as I have use for it. Everyday at the close of the day, we haul one load back. Heck, we gotta drive back anyway....might as well do so with the truck loaded.

5. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know anyplace in Glen Burnie , but in Carroll County I have a couple of landscape suppliers that let me dump there. In turn they screen it and sell it as topsoil. Everyone's happy. I know a residence in Finksburg that need 100 yrds , but I that is my little place to dump. ;)

6. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

$90.00 a ton is insane. I can fill a 20 yard dumpster for $225.00. You need to call quarry and stone yards, I pay like $6.00 a ton to dump dirt with a $20.00 minimum.

7. DVS Hardscaper

Hoow bout 'The Stone Store'?

They sell top soil, etc. (under a different name)

You'd think they would take spoils, screen and sell.

I'd try calling around to different soil suppliers. In Frederick we have one company that sells screened soil and they'll gladly take our spoils. They just screen it and ship it back out.

8. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

DVS,

what are the sites for listing fill dirt wanted? i thought of that a not to long ago, guess i am too late, LOL.

9. DVS Hardscaper

I dunno.

About 18 months ago I did a Google search and came across them. And then turned out I didn't need them.

I run ad ad on Craigslist, where I am stating that I am accepting fill material (at my residence). Although.....I'm not sure I have the ad placed at the correct spot, as I only got one call!

10. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

I found a couple when i googled them. thats good to know for next season. i had a nice little spot last season, but he has all he needs now.