Wasted 3 hours today looking at 5 estimates.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Oct 2, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Today I go and look at 3 shrub jobs,one yard and one cemetary and what a wasted of time and gas! First yard I went to when I turned off of road the driveway was like driving down a cliff, almost a straight dropoff. Drive went down about 100 yards to a 2 story house. Yard was nothing but sand,limbs and leaves. I could not even walk up the hill was so steap. I got in truck and left thinking to myself "no way" could my body take this abuse. Second job was what lady on phone said was not a bad job. Sure, shrubs were over roof top high and a lot of it. In my area the resistance point on shrubs is 15 bucks a hour and I REFUSE to do it for less than 40 as hard work as that is. I did not even get out of truck, put in reverse and left. I got the feeling from this lady on phone she was a tightwad. Third was a cemetary, was told on phone it was small. Sure, about 3+ acres and you could barely mow it with a 21 push mower and weedeater.
    This is not a job for a solo operator. Other two shrub jobs were chain saw work, I knew I could not handle it by myself and could not afford to sub it out with no profit. I made a decision today I will take no more shrub jobs,period. I will maintain what I have but no more one timers or real big ones. I hate turning down work but at 45 and some heart and other problems Im having to limit myself to what I do. I have no problems with mow, weedeating, edging. blowing but going up and down a ladder with those heavy echo long shaft trimmers put a butt whipping on me fast! Start running out of breath and energy real fast. Thats what dam cigarettes will do for you after 28 years. I quit but too little to late. I called all the clients back and thanked them for considering me but would have to pass at this time. (dont like to tell folks Im not in great shape). Took me 6 + years to finally get people to notice my work and start calling me because I done a good job and now this and now Im having to cull it.

Danny
    Quality Lawn Care

2. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Occasionally I run across a job thats too big or I just dont have time for, or desire, but 9/10 times I have a referrel to some one that I know. I find that Its always good to have friends (1 or 2) that you can partner with and refer work to them and you know will give good service to represent you. I tried to give away 2 new customers this week to a friend. One he did. The other I had to end up doing myself because they wanted it that day. Dont you just love those people who call and want it that day...............

3. QualityLawnCare4u

Hey Mike, hows everything going in Albany. Have not been over that way in awhile. I also called 2 other lcos who did not want the work, and one lived right next door the the steep yard LOL. These were 5 I would not want if I did have the time or health to do them, they were that bad.

Danny

4. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I had one last week that stopped by and said they lived across the street to stop by when I finished. I walked over and after about 50ft down the drive I stopped and back pedaled off and did not say a word to them. Junk every where. Some areas hadn't been cut this year. It would have to be Dec-Jan for me to take a job like that! How is it going over there. How far are you from Waycross?

5. QualityLawnCare4u

Mike, Im about 5 miles from Waycross. and I know the kind of "junk" yards you are talking about. I seem to attract these kind of people, the kind no other lco would touch :)

Danny

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I remember a time, long ago, when lawnsite was a useful source of information on business practices, horticulture, equipment, etc. When did it become a forum for a handful of repeat posters to share unbelievably pathetic sob stories and complain about how terrible things are for them? On top of that, does anyone else out there wonder if perhaps lawnsite is encouraging/paying for/typing bogus outrageous posts to stir up conversations and keep people visiting to "see what's gonna happen next", ala the Howard Stern show?

Read some of the stories here and ask yourself....how come this guy has more crazy stories in a month than I've had in a decade?

I think I'll stick to asking questions when I need specific info and leave the pontification to the inmates of the asylum from now on. I get the feeling the joke is on us when we "bite" on these kind of posts.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I like the sob stories...keep 'em coming. Lighten up bruce.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

Well Excuse me Mr. hotshot. I was just talking about what kind of week it was/ and making friendly? conversation about health and different kind of clients we run into. If you dont like my post, then DONT READ THEM! BTW, from reading your post in aint been that great for you either.I was trying to be nice but thats not what Id really like to say.

Danny

9. QualityLawnCare4u

BTW Bruce, every thing Ive ever posted here is the absolute truth whether it was asking for advice or telling my daily events. When I get the big money makers or perfect clients I will be sure to post about that too!

Danny

10. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Danny, I gotta say I think you must have the worst tightwads in the nation right there in your area.

I'm rootin' fer ya, man! I hope you find some of the good ones too!